Multichannel preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'd like to get some help regarding my current project : a multichannel preamp.
My need is to be able to combine HiFi quality stereo and multichannel (I listen to stereo music and multichannel SACD), as well as to connect my HC.
To sum up I'd like to do something like the Parasound Halo P7, but for much cheaper :)

Another thing : I'm a newby regarding DIY...:(

After some researched, I've found an already assembled multichannel preamp board, using 2 PGA4311 :
Préamplification - AUDIOPHONICS PGA-8CH - Contrôleur de volume 8 entrées PGA4311
(for those of you who don't read french I can make a quick translation)

Do you think it would suit my need ? What do you think of the quality ?

Hi mate,

I used to have an Arcam A80 integrated amp that had a factory fitted 7.1 preamp board, might find one on ebay but they're pretty rare I think.

Densen also have a dealer fitted multichannel preamp board for their 2-channel intergrateds amps, costs 400 euro to have it retrofitted (the higher-end board- there is a cheeper one too). There's a heathy used market of Densen amps in Denmark at dba.dk.

If you need amps, Densen also make a very nice sounding 4-channel power amp called the B-340, I've just picked up two from dba for 670 euros each (1/3 or retail price) for some 3-way active speakers I'm building.

Thank you for your answer.

Concerning the Arcam, I could not find any on ebay, and I've never seen the upgrade you're talking about.
Furthermore the reviews I could see on the net don't seem really good.
Lastly, I think that most affordable Arcam used amp are not fitted to 220V... :(

Concerning Densen I don't know the brand, but it seems to be out of budget for me.
In compararison the unit I've linked cost 100€, so a basic working preamp could be build for under 200€ imo.

If I had to define a budget I'd say around 300€, 400 max depending on the quality I can get. That includes preamp, power unit and source selector.
For a little more I could get a used Atoll pr5.1 for example.

I still can be interested if you have more info, and if it can fit in my budget.

My goal at the moment would be to get something already assembled, or the closest possible, and build a cheap mockup.

PS : I already own a multichannel amp (NAD T973). I don't plan on changing it for the moment.

Not sure about remote controlled passive, beyond my expertise.

I think for the money (vs performance) passive is actually quite a bit cheaper. At the higher end of the game you'd have to spend considerably more on and active pre to get the same level of transparency as a simple quality stepped attenuator, or lightspeed attenuator. The simpler signal path is hard to argue against, though there seems to be some consensus of opinion that the very best active preamps offer a bit more in the way of body and dynamics.

The $100 active pre seems a bit to good to be true. Never know though, worth canvasing a bit of opinion on that one, especially considering your options are pretty limited at that price.

Cheers

I could try passive preamp, never tried so far so I can't really tell.

I do own a PGA2310 preamp however, and PGAXXXX chips seem to be used in some DIY projects from time to time, so the quality must not be so bad.
Can't say the PGA2310 preamp is a wonder, but yet my Yamaha HC amp can't stand the comparison, and the fully working preamp cost me a little more than 100€ (assembled in a case, and shipping cost included).

I'll probably go for the PGA4311 so, at least to try it in a cheap version. If I get the chance to test it against a passive preamp I'll do it though :)
Will wait a little more though to see if I get any other advices.

Concerning quality, we allways want to go for the best, but the budget I want to allow to preamp is not so much, and to be honest my amp and speakers aren't exactly high end either... :)

The Nads pretty decent. On a limited budget personally I'd be tempted to put all my funds into a 2-channel setup, even for movies, rather than spread my budget that thin.

A dac/pre like this one and you'd be styling, and could use the extra channel of the Nad to drive some diy passive subs when your budget allows
ºÍ§Ó­µ响

Just an idea fwiw

Well I do like listening to some multichannel SACD from time to time (little less since I got the Yam), but my music is mostly stereo so you do have a point.

Would you have some idea of stereo preamp that could fit ?

Concerning the NAD it's great, but I had the chance to listen to a NAD 208, and it's clearly better :)

CS3318 is a perfect fit for this application. Do not know if anyone has a kit using this part.
Passive multi-channel is not such a good solution for a number of reasons. Impossible to individually adjust levels, let alone when selecting different sources.
What are you willing to pay for such a unit? Min-Max
Also make a list of the features, as they are the ones adding costs.
I have design one but it is too expensive, since most people are too cheap these days. They will buy Pioneer SX-1250's but will not invest in new/better technology.
Does a Parasound Halo P7 have a builtin tuner/mp3 player USB audio codec, mine does?
See attached mechanical concept dwgs

Attachments

• PREAMP-MODEL 7.1 BACK PANEL-1.pdf
    39.1 KB · Views: 128
  • PREAMP-MODEL 7.1 FRONT PANEL-6 Encoders.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I've read about the CS3318 but could not see any kit, or better assembled board available (given my soldering skill level, it is neccessary).

My need is to have a multichannel colum control, with input selection : 2 multichannel and 2 or 3 stereo input, and 1 multichannel output.

I don't need any DAC nor mp3 player.

Yes it has been a while for sure, I had to go back to see what I wrote and why I was subscribing to this thread.
BTW, nice work.
Since I have developed my own audio equipment, for my own use, it is always nice to see others embarking on similar projects, how designers make choices and implement their ideas.
It is always nice to also trade ideas to make a product that meets the end user's requirements and offers features that set it part from the rest.
My biggest challenges are coding and packaging. Packaging makes it look professional and character/identity. S/W well easy to use/modify, features etc.
Good luck with your products.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.