Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2013, 07:49 PM   #11
essepol is online now essepol  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Siblings

Here is a little info on two of it's siblings that may be interesting. Acurus RL-11 and Aragon 28k.
Attached Images
File Type: png Acurus RL-11 schematic.png (30.2 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg RL-11 top.JPG (444.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg RL-11 underneath.JPG (398.3 KB, 164 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aragon_28-K_schematic.pdf (70.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:58 PM   #12
ammel68 is offline ammel68  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the additional photos and Aragon schematic. I understand the RL-11 is supposedly very similar to the L10 except for the RL-11 being remote controllable.

The Aragon I have no personal experience with. If someone here has heard both the Aragon and the Acurus, perhaps they can chime in with how the two compare sonically.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:50 PM   #13
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

One Aragon version came with Penny & Giles attenuators.
Never heard it though

Regards
David
Old 12th November 2013, 05:31 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to FallenOne
I've actually got one of these laying around looking for a home if anyone's interested..
Old 11th December 2013, 01:52 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Stumbled across this thread kind of late but thought I'd give my .02. I looked over the mods performed by Ken Ealey and I'm not liking what I see there. As others have stated he eliminated the +/- 18 V discrete regulators and is running full rectified voltage to the line stage DC rails. I have worked on a few of these Acurus pre's and the non-regulated voltage is usually around 29 -30 VDC with a good bit of ripple as one would expect. I would say that he is still CRC filtering the rails but now he only has 2 uF film caps where there used to be 1000 uF E-CAPS right after the 10 ohm 2W RC resistors so there is not a lot of storage after those resistors. It also looks like he removed the 10 uF output coupling caps and shorted those from underneath the board. The small electrolytic at the input to the line stage was also added by and I'm assuming it is a non-polar input coupling cap. I can think of no other purpose for it in that location. The Aragon Pre's used an input coupling cap and had the output directly coupled to the line stage. But they also offered a DC offset adjustment to trim the circuit.

Personally I just cannot see that preamp sounding better than the stock unit!

If it were me, I'd develop a current source for the stock complementary diff input. Then I'd turn my attention to the power supply. The stock transformer is only 5 VA and this pre draws about 3 - 4 VA in operation so the transformer is overloaded in my opinion. A 10 VA toroidal will fit nicely, but you will have to be resourceful and build a small bracket. Then a new larger set of main storage caps to replace the 3,300 uF/35v electrolytics (10mm pin spacing snap-in style) and then add a set of wima film bypass caps across the new E-caps on the backside of the board.

If you are feeling really energetic then the cheap metal films can be replaced with RN60D's. It is time consuming, but I've done it on a few of them. You might as well also replace the 1000 uF E-CAPS on the regulated side of the DC rails.

Hide this!Advertise here!