Bonsai's practical buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes! Even I can solder 1206.

But to be perfectly honest, after many years of experience with audio, I must admit that recordings quality/audio gear/room acoustics gamble is best treated with tone control preamplifiers like Bonsai's own great Symphony Line. No matter how linear your audio amp is, you can never achieve that all of your CD collection sounds good without tone controls. And that's me saying that and I do not use tone controls for the last 30 years. But that is wrong. Tone controls should be used. That's the only way to make all of your music collection useful. Without them you are restricting yourself to only a tiny proportion of your valuable music collection. The only problem is that building good tone control preamp is more ambitious work than a simple buffer.

I have a neighbor that invested a lot of money in his audio, he has expensive Lavardin amp and fantastic Harbeth Compact 7 loudspeakers, but since there is no tone controls almost nothing sounds good enough! And Alan Shaw, who designed Harbeth speakers, says that even the best amp in the world should have tone controls. That's saying a lot. You simply must have means to correct problems.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes! Even I can solder 1206.

But to be perfectly honest, after many years of experience with audio, I must admit that recordings quality/audio gear/room acoustics gamble is best treated with tone control preamplifiers like Bonsai's own great Symphony Line. No matter how linear your audio amp is, you can never achieve that all of your CD collection sounds good without tone controls. And that's me saying that and I do not use tone controls for the last 30 years. But that is wrong. Tone controls should be used. That's the only way to make all of your music collection useful. Without them you are restricting yourself to only a tiny proportion of your valuable music collection. The only problem is that building good tone control preamp is more ambitious work than a simple buffer.

I have a neighbor that invested a lot of money in his audio, he has expensive Lavardin amp and fantastic Harbeth Compact 7 loudspeakers, but since there is no tone controls almost nothing sounds good enough! And Alan Shaw, who designed Harbeth speakers, says that even the best amp in the world should have tone controls. That's saying a lot. You simply must have means to correct problems.

Thanks for the kind comments Ivanlukic.

Indeed, tone controls make a big difference. On my preamp, the tone control range is +-10 dB. Typically I set the controls between 10am and 2pm, and on some few recordings may 9am to 3pm.

I would encourage builders here to look closely at the Baxandall tone control - it really makes a positive difference to any system in my view.

Here is the link to the article as promised

UBx Universal JFET Buffer | hifisonix.com
What happened to the JFET + BJT cascode circuit at 5V pk there? Some clipping issues, presumably?

Anything wrong with more advanced windowing functions for the FFT?

"...given the simplicity of the circuit, and the absence of feedback."
Nitpick: Some would argue that a source follower uses 100% feedback, but yeah...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.