Levels in an active three-way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a three-way active system. One ss pre-amp, an active crossover, and three power-amps. The LF amp is ss, the Mid amp is tube, and the HF amp is ss. I cross at 400 and 3500.

My LF and Mid speakers are similar efficiency drivers, around 105~108. To balance the levels with my calibration mic and software, the level knobs on my TDM CX24 Active Crossover are more than adequate to balance those out.

Problem is, my tweeters have efficiency of a paltry 88. They are Linaeum dipoles. According to my math, when my Mids are happily humming away with a comfortable 1 watt, the HF would need approx 50 watts to bring them up to same level as the LF and Mids. To make it work right now, the HF is driven by a Carver PM1.5 power amp, rated at a whopping 600 wpc. It does work fine right now, and I do love the sound of the Linaeums.

I have considered making the HF amp tube also, perhaps aDynaclone St 120 at 60 wpc. But in order to get that amp up to an output 50 watts, I'll need to get its input voltage up quite a bit more than it is currently being fed, fairly close to its max input voltage needed to get its full output.

Is this where a tube line stage amp would come into play? I would place it between the active crossover and the HF amp to boost the signal being fed to the HF amp. Is my thinking sound?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.