TEAC VU Meter Hookup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have a salvaged VU meter pair out of an old Late 70's Early 80's TEAC reciever.
The VU meters worked fine before I pulled them from the unit and I'd like to use them in an upcoming project.
Any ideas folks??

Attachments

• TEAC VU Meter.jpg
    TEAC VU Meter.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 142
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You will need a suitable drive circuit for the meters. Passive ones (diode/resistors/caps) suffer from lack of sensitivity. Look at manuals of old amps etc that use meters (or cassette decks) and lift the circuit from those. Often a simple one transistor stage is used.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just rig up a variable DC PSU (battery and pot) and a series resistor. Keep your DVM across the resistor (because its internal resistance will affect the reading slightly) and adjust the pot for F.S.D. of the meter. Then just work out the current using ohms law from your DVM reading and the known series resistor.

Any meter drive circuit should work OK and will have more than enough output to drive the meters. Calibration is achieved by adjusting the input to the meter drive circuit.

Edit... or if your DVM is sensitive enough then just place it in series with the meter and resistor and read the current directly on the DVM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.