Combined Speaker-Amplifier Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, so about a two and half years ago after years with a passing, but fairly strong, interest in audio, I made the decision that it would be fun to do a first project with audio and that I might actually be capable of it.

At the time, I was in the midst of my degree, and time wasn't really on my side. But I did decide I wanted to build a box with integrated amplifier and speakers which I could plug a phone or MP3 player into and so listen to music with. I did begin buying some stuff, and bought a few cheap loudspeakers and some op-amps to try to drive them from my iPod's headphone jack. I didn't manage to accomplish it and left the whole thing alone for a long time.

I still have those speakers lying around, I don't have a degree to work on anymore, and I don't want them to go to waste, so I have decided to continue with the project.

Sorry for the lengthy introduction. I just wanted to make sure people understood where I am coming from so you'll hopefully understand the limitations of my knowledge. I just always find entering a community full of very knowledgeable people like this one to be an intimidating experience at first.

TL;DR: I am a newbie, please go easy on me.

So, I have recently been looking at how to structure the internal electronics and have drawn up a very rough, simple diagram of how I would like to do it (excuse the bad drawing, I did use MS Paint). I would just like to know about feasibility, and/or whether any of it is simply redundant and over complicated. I don't really have a particularly coherent grasp of how all the variables interact yet. I'm probably over thinking it all.

1GZBONA.png

I'm unsure, also, about having the LF at < 100Hz... technically the driver I bought for that isn't a sub (at least, it's not labelled as such), but it has a 65Hz resonant frequency, so I thought it should handle sub-100Hz frequencies reasonably well. I am wondering whether it might be more sensible to simply buy an extra and use two of the larger LF drivers along with the tweeters at < and > 2kHz respectively, and then save the middle drivers for some other project. The diagram above was my first idea, though, so I thought I'd start from there.

Anyway, sorry for waffling... once I start typing I find it hard to stop.

Hey there, welcome!

without knowing what the specific drivers are its hard to tell, so if you could find out that would be preferred, otherwise specific advise on crossover frequencies is a bit hopeful.

but I will say one thing, having resonant frequency of 65Hz means that it wont generally be comfortable at anything much lower than double that, so 130Hz and that depends on the box tuning etc.

Thanks for the quick response!

The drivers are cheap and I guess pretty low quality... but that's preferable since if I somehow accidentally break them then I've not lost too much.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/L70AW.pdf
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/L68AW.pdf
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/L64AW.pdf

Now that I think about it, the resonant frequency stuff makes perfect sense... Resonance I guess is going to cause some serious amplitude increases that aren't going to sound nice... don't know why that didn't occur to me before, guess I didn't think about it, really. The crossover frequencies I have suggested are plain wrong then, I guess.

Maybe if I could find a proper 6.5" Sub-Woofer Driver I could go ahead with the original design using that? Wouldn't really know where to buy from, though... Maplin is the only place I know and their selection isn't great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.