20hz high pass on Ashly XR2000 - removable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i guess I am a lil slow, and didn't realize that my crossover has a 20hz high pass filter on it. Is it possible to remove this? Or will this compromise the effectiveness of the unit? I only use the crossover on my woofers in a two way open baffle system, and the highs are crossed with a passive line level filter. Thanks.

I don't know why you would want to. My woofers do huge excursions when I am using the magnetic phono input and I walk across the floor with the low filter cut off on my mixer. That might tear a rubber surround as they play into their second decade. Below 20 hz is not music. My filter is one element (a capacitor) so the slope can affect things you hear, (6 db/octave?). I choose to leave it switched off most of the time and take the risk. If you have a 2 element 20 hz filter, capacitor and inductor(12 db/octave?) use it and be glad. 15" woofer "baskets" are not cheap, and 18" are more expensive.
I've got a bin of old organ records that should have 32' pipe sounds down to 24 hz, but they don't. Record companies filtered these sounds off the master after 1960 so those "fine wood consoles" with ceramic cartridges wouldn't skip and cause the record to be taken back to the store. I've got one or two post 1980 LPs that have a little 32' pipe sound, Telearcs, but it sounds nothing like the actual pipes over at St Bartholomew church in Louisville. Those pipes will "jiggle yor innards". My 15" woofer speakers wouldn't do justice to the sound anyway. They are flat down to 50 hz, and 20 db down at 25 hz.

Last edited:
Usually you "remove" a filter by taking it out. then you test to make sure you didn't short across the speaker or amp, or disconnect the speaker entirely from the amp hot and return. Filter elements are capacitors and inductors, usually fairly large ones at 20 hz.
My RA88a mixer has a .047 uf capacitor capacitor as a low cut filter, and a switch that puts a 100 ohm resistor across it to defeat it. But those low values are for a low current op amp input stage, not the high currents of a speaker level filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.