Need gain AMOUNT for mobile phone/pc sources

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Here is a quickie !

I am using 4xTDA 2050 setups for 4.1 channel. i am building project 88 of rod elliott's website, i know, usually the IC's dont need any amplification after the sources such as PC or Mobile phones(digital), i am going to carry the signals over conventional sheilded cables so there is a need to remove the hum and noise.I have also noticed that the sources like mobile phones sound a bit low when compared to others. can someone help me knowing how much GAIN the preamplifer would need to effectively drive tda 2050 to its full capacity?

here is the gain table :)

Attachments

• gaintable.jpg
    gaintable.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 45
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The best way is to experiment with different values of R7 while using your intended sources. There's no way to calculate and determine the value needed as it depends on to many unknown factors.

The only way to get it right so that the feel of the volume control is correct is in use is to do it empirically. i.e. try different values or use a preset initially for R7 (but be careful you don't turn it to minimum resistance as that would remove the feedback and the DC conditions would alter)

The best way is to experiment with different values of R7 while using your intended sources. There's no way to calculate and determine the value needed as it depends on to many unknown factors.

The only way to get it right so that the feel of the volume control is correct is in use is to do it empirically. i.e. try different values or use a preset initially for R7 (but be careful you don't turn it to minimum resistance as that would remove the feedback and the DC conditions would alter)

Cant i set it to very high gain initially and later on control it using the volume control?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You can but if you get the gain to high then that stage might clip. Its two minutes of a job to replace the fixed resistor with a preset and find a value thats perfect.

If you want very high gain then spread it between the two stages. Try a 3K3 for the first stage and the same for the second.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.