wall-based trasformer volume control as passive pre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a hair-brained idea this morning and wanted to get some feedback. Most audiophiles know the sonic benefits of a transformer-based passive preamp. Kits and complete units cost a fair amount of money, but I've noticed that wall-based transformer volume controls are under $100, and some even half that. Has anyone ever tried making a passive preamp with something they carry at say, Home Depot, Lowes, or Parts Express? It looks easy enough to do and is tempting to try.

FM

I believe those transformers you refer to are intended to contrtol the volume of a speaker running off a 70V or 100V sound reinforcement amplifier or "P.A." system.

They're the wrong impedance for line level, by a long shot. And they are not even close to "hi-fi." The uber high end ones (not the ones at Home Depot) have a claimed frequency response of typically 70-20,000 Hz.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Actually I have a few of these that I picked up at the Parts Express tent sale and at Radio Shack and they are not designed for 70V systems. They are for nominally 8 ohm systems, tho they do have taps for other impedances.

Here's the problem. I've tried to use them as you want to, a line level transformer volume control. Yeah, they kinda work, but they also kinda suck. The transformers just are not of high quality. Limited frequency response, bad phase, lack-luster sound.

Sure wish I could get this to work and sound good, but I have not, so far, been able to. :( OK for background music speakers, not good for Hi-Fi.

Actually I have a few of these that I picked up at the Parts Express tent sale and at Radio Shack and they are not designed for 70V systems. They are for nominally 8 ohm systems, tho they do have taps for other impedances.

I've never noticed these, probably because I never concieved of a use for them. Do you have a quick link?*

Sure wish I could get this to work and sound good, but I have not, so far, been able to. :(

Since some of us like to use "passive" preamps, there would be a modest market for a "hi-fi"stepped line level transformer. There are some advantages to using a stepped transformer over a potentiometer for a passive preamp.

OK for background music speakers, not good for Hi-Fi.

Absolutely. Typical "elevator" music is distributed through 70 volt speaker level transformers.

*Edit: I did see a transformer based speaker level volume control at Menards. I never gave it a second thought, because I assumed that it sucked.

Last edited:
I thought impedance and the overall quality of the transformers may be issues. Seems the proper transformers are expensive to experiment with, so I'm just surprised someone hasn't come up with a cheap DIY solution. I think I read a post about someone making one with a standard, cheap transformer from Radio Shack, but it hummed like crazy.

A passive pre-amp does not need any power supply.
An active pre-amp does need a power supply.

An active pre-amp can be a buffer without any gain, or it can be an amplifier with some gain. If you go for gain then I recommend that it be switchable, +0dB, +6dB +12dB gives you a lot of flexibility for various source output levels. Use the MINIMUM gain to get to the volume levels you listen at.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.