Reed Switch Audio Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My point was that they are not able to reliably close or open on a zero crossing of a waveform, so that the switch produces fewer or smaller clicks. This is sometimes done with CMOS switches.

What's even better to do with a CMOS switch is to do a soft switch, essentially ramping the switch open or closed, which can be done regardless of a zero crossing, and is far more effective at preventing clicks. It's like a crossfade edit rather than a straight cut.

I would nike to see that - I have wondered myself.

If that effect exists, it would not be from the static magnetic field, but by the signal current induced B field that also travels in the magnetically nonlinear reeds. While the reeds are ferromagnetic and signal passes through them, it's not clear that the potential nonlinearities are large enough to matter. Still, at speaker levels, it seems plausible.

Note that some conventional relay designs also pass signals through magnetic materials that compose the armature. It's not required, as it is in a reed relay, but it is possible depending upon the armature design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.