IC's get hammered

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The "numbers" from the 3 tests in LA4 were derived in almost the same manner as those WJ wrote up in 1995 -- and as we now know they don't relate well to the subjective experience. I applied the Didymus test! (This is how Reinhart-Rogoff got debunked if you're up on your recent economics). But just because the correlation coefficients aren't high doesn't mean that Walt's design isn't the best sounding.

It's been pointed out to me (via Jan) that there may be another test which would relate to the ordinal scores. I did some simulation and it looks promising indeed!

In the interim, here's a description of the DUT:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What are the specific advantages of this regulator over say an LM317 or an LM723? Thanks.

There are no plate capacitors inside IC opamps., Except for thin films, caps are formed through the working of active parts such as mosfets and Jfets and Bjts. These parts are not quite as high performing as plate capacitors.

This is wrong, Google for MOMCAP (metal on metal) they can be quite good in fact there have been some sample and holds using them. They have their own layers of oxide and have nothing to do with the active devices (except for a shared layer or two when that works out).

You are laboring under the influence of Burson Audio's nonsense.

From a simple spice simulation you could easily observe the effects on phase margin and stability and distortion. For that youd need the full schematics and not just the simplified version on the datasheet.

None of note, especially distortion, please read Samual Groner's measurements. The Burson op-amp are only fair on many specs nothing any number of IC's couldn't easily better. Disclaimer - IMHO of course.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.