IC's get hammered

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
offering up to 65nm processes where you share in project runs with other people for as little as 2500-3000USD for 50 dies in a wafflepack.
heard about it, the figures that circulated cca. 2008 were a bit higher but anyway.

You mean the guy that has designed a tube into a SPDIF interface (probably
because the marketing department required it) ?
And states "I could now pontificate how my "super-regulator" that I implemented in a commercial product, performs ever so much better in ALL domains ..."
well, I know, Thorsten L, diyhifi.org. not a fan myself, I get fed with some rather prominent member's ramblings pretty quickly. but if you actually read the link, Thorsten does make sense.

there are a few companies doing it now, those prices arent for MOSIS, but for a similar service with larger features. I linked MOSIS mainly to illustrate the processes available, 65nm wouldnt be that cheap, but we dont need or want feature size that small as its so much more difficult to design and model for due to gate leakage

Capacitors are notoriously imprecise, yet, in their slated "duty", their absolute precision is in no way meaningful. Amplifiers are "happy" (and many after-market DIYdesigners "play around") with +20%, +50% caps. ... except for equalization where more precision is necessary ...

GoatGuy

With capacitors its not their absolute value thats of prime importance but their quality. Reverse biased mosfets as caps have very poor characteristics in the order of X7R, Z5U and even Y5V types. They have high temperature and voltage coefficient and suffer from electrical losses. However their qualities have improved much with current generation IC production.

And yet X7R have their place in many circuits...mainly digital decoupling where they are often the best choice...
I wonder how analogue instrumentation designs based on IC's go on, as some of these are used for some extremly sensitive control and measurments...
Qusp, are you going to design your own chip, that will be fun, just getting bespoke silicon designed by a design house is fun. What worries me is how you will create the chip scale valves and paper in oil capacitors that are a must for audio designs:)

I presume the "hiccups" are linearity and lack of colouration, hence the addition of numerous transistors to up the noise floor, add a bit of harmonic distortion and create a true audiophile sound, or a sound that is easily identifiable as different from a low distortion and clean sound.:D

we are talking about the fact that its not only recently that they stopped having to use reverse biased mosfets as caps... you sound like you read some second hand information posted by someone who didnt really know what they were talking about.... when researching MiMs I found links going back to 2008 without even looking for old links. I presume its significantly more mature technology than that.

surely we are here to talk about reality, not some alternate reality where technology stalled? I mean I know its makes for great story telling, but...

as mentioned, for decoupling caps linearity is not really important, nor is matching and some amount of electrical damping is preferred

marce: yeah just pipedream at the moment, I had no idea it was so affordable, but I have plenty of learning to do first before that. by then I expect better and cheaper processes available. I worry most about how i'm going to get the miniature vibrational and triboelectric (excellent buzzword) damping to work, perhaps there is something in the MEMs libraries?

Last edited:
Perhaps you could show specifically what the "hiccups" are and explain the techniques used to minimize them, using a real IC circuit (a modern one, not 1968) as an example? These engineers must be incredibly clever to get the circuit nonlinearity to the nearly unmeasurable point!

In my previous post I said what they are, as for the techniques, there are many perhaps I should rather reference VLSI design technique books that you could read. I cant remember authors right now but I have a couple in my home library I can check when I get home.

In my previous post I said what they are...

No, actually you didn't. You claimed that they're reversed biased MOSFETs (not really true) and gave no analysis whatever about their effects in specific circuits, nor any specifics about "hiccups," nor anything specific about how those "hiccups" are corrected for (assuming they even exist). We're left with some vague handwaving and published data which show superb performance and linearity. I suspect the latter has more credibility than the former.

we are talking about the fact that its not only recently that they stopped having to use reverse biased mosfets as caps... you sound like you read some second hand information posted by someone who didnt really know what they were talking about.... when researching MiMs I found links going back to 2008 without even looking for old links.

surely we are here to talk about reality, not some alternate reality where technology stalled? as mentioned, for decoupling caps linearity is not really important, nor is matching and some amount of electrical damping is preferred

And you think I google as I read along the forum like yourself or quote someone who doesnt know what he is talking about ?? :D
I learnt this during 3rd year electrical engineering degree.
This is not the area of my expertise and I have no interest in it (note: doesnt mean Im clueless about it).

In my previous post I said what they are, as for the techniques, there are many perhaps I should rather reference VLSI design technique books that you could read. I cant remember authors right now but I have a couple in my home library I can check when I get home.
I did logic verification for four years but I never got to physical level. but I wouldn't assume that the precision op amps are done in the same process as the processor in your PC. and even if they are, looks like the finished product is doing the job its intended to do and meets the specs.

No, actually you didn't. You claimed that they're reversed biased MOSFETs (not really true) and gave no analysis whatever about their effects in specific circuits, nor any specifics about "hiccups," nor anything specific about how those "hiccups" are corrected for (assuming they even exist). We're left with some vague handwaving and published data which show superb performance and linearity. I suspect the latter has more credibility than the former.

You simply dont know what youre talking about, many are reverse biased mosfets as fact. Im not a forum lecturer and have no interest in the matter so later Ill post some book references which is used as course material and you can educate youself on the subject.

I learnt this during 3rd year electrical engineering degree.
I would not exactly expect many of the obsoleted old ***** that somehow qualified as teachers during my university years to be acquainted with the latest progresses in silicon fabrication.

This is not the area of my expertise and I have no interest in it (note: doesnt mean Im clueless about it).
so, it means you shouldn't go speculating about it. I did actually work for a living with cutting edge ASIC technologies but my area of expertise did not include physical-level aspects. that is why I wouldn't speculate.

Last edited:
its a matter of priorities, if a linear cap or transistor, resistor, or cap is desired, they have quite linear devices at their disposal, if thick film metal oxide transistors are all thats required, thats what they will use. I know its popular to spout that these designers are rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of all that money they can save, without a care in the world for the performance of the components they design, but IMO that sort of view is beyond cynical and the claim that these are the tools at their disposal is just plain wrong.

funnily it sounds like my theory for where the info came from wasnt too far from the mark

Last edited:
I did logic verification for four years but I never got to physical level. but I wouldn't assume that the precision op amps are done in the same process as the processor in your PC. and even if they are, looks like the finished product is doing the job its intended to do and meets the specs.

They probably are not but I can guess some of the techniques used in the fabrication being similar.

Yes it is little speculation from my part but as I said in the beginning there was `SOME` truth in the link in the first post. More recently real mica has also been used but no Im not upto date about the latest fabrication processes or have any interest in it I admit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.