Audiophile active crossover - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2013, 01:54 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I'm currently designing a passive (LC) line level crossover coz I'm hopeful it'll sound better than an active one. Inductors and capacitors I reckon have lower IMD than semiconductors but the proof will be in the listening.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:01 PM   #22
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Theoretically, passive crossover has lower noise result. But active crossover is greater flexibility in implementation. If they both were implemented properly, it will be give a good result. It all depend on implementation.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:48 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

About the 4 ways, How would Dynaudio 30W54 integrate with D28/2 and MW160. In a Triamped system with 11", would I still need a subwoofer? I really like the direction my system is going but I was offered the Dynaudio 30W54 for a good price and I don't see them alot around here.
Old 7th March 2013, 04:14 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to siouxiebuff
The way I see it is that passive filtering is superior to active, but only if you can design and make your own custom drivers.
And don't blame active filters for tendencies to use textbook style designs. Thats just poor imagination.
Old 14th March 2013, 02:17 PM   #25
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I have already modified active crossover of cheap multimedia speaker. The speaker use bi-amp, but do not properly implemented the active crossover. The high pass filter and low pass filter specification of the active crossover must be depend on the characteristic of the woofer and tweeter.

I just modify the Q and the frequency cut-off of the filter, and it give better sounding speaker .

Hide this!Advertise here!