Capacitors voltage rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this the rebuild you were speaking of? If so, it is a replacement yet cunningly using the same PCB. At a quick glance it looks to be a much better circuit. No longer a useless MS-22B, but a reasonable preamp which just happens to occupy the same space and re-use some of the same components in a completely different circuit.

This seems to be the modern way of doing DIY: buy some Chinese junk in a pretty chassis, rip out the innards and replace it all with something decent. Then everyone is happy: the Chinese have their sales, and we have decent audio. Sadly, the gullible just stop at the first stage.

Fully agree and add: I still can't believe how such a crappy piece of junk (the original version) can be sold at all.
Is it surrounded by some kind of mystic halo or something?
Incredible.

I mean, it isn't as if you are stranded in a desert Pacific Island and it's the only piece of equipment available, there's tons of properly designed stuff around.
Any old 80's Sansui/Akai/Pioneer/Yamaha integrated amplifier you can buy for peanuts or find in a junkbin or at garage sales has a Phono stage much better than that one.

Oh, yes, I understand: they don't have .....TOOBZ ....... !!!!!!!!!

Gimme a break !!

Is this the rebuild you were speaking of? If so, it is a replacement yet cunningly using the same PCB. At a quick glance it looks to be a much better circuit. No longer a useless MS-22B, but a reasonable preamp which just happens to occupy the same space and re-use some of the same components in a completely different circuit.

This seems to be the modern way of doing DIY: buy some Chinese junk in a pretty chassis, rip out the innards and replace it all with something decent. Then everyone is happy: the Chinese have their sales, and we have decent audio. Sadly, the gullible just stop at the first stage.

Yup that's the rebuild that I was talking about. I thought I did attached the file and I just realized I didn't.

JMFahey said:
I still can't believe how such a crappy piece of junk (the original version) can be sold at all.
It gets positive informal reviews such as 6streetbridge (also repeated here). The price (around $175) is just right to attract people - they can't believe that anyone would charge real money for junk. If it were $100 or $400 it might sell less.

krm76, from the sounds of it, it is up to you to decide on what to do.

Ah.... the trials and tribulations of DIY Audio... what to do next and how to finish it... and how much will it cost me... and what will the wife say?

If you really want a RIAA compliant phono tube amp... You can always take the case, transformer (it is a 200V secondary from the schematic), the 12AX7 tubes, possibly some caps and some resistors, and try to build this instead.

Groovewatt a DIY Vacuum Tube (Valve) RIAA Phono Preamplifier Project

Otherwise, go solid state (like the one in the link I posted a little while back) -- runs cooler, some would say easier to build, and it will probably last longer (no tubes to deteriorate). Of course, there is this one with low parts count and low voltage too.

Le Pacific JFET Phono Preamp for MM and MC Cartridges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.