Active studio monitors/ crossovers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 12:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Active studio monitors/ crossovers

I recently sold my studio monitors, I found a certain cheapness to the sound. I puchased 2 Dynaudio D28 and 2 17W75. My plan was to use a pair of STK4044XL in each speaker driver by a 2 way active crossover. I have discovered a few things and have many more questions. My speakers apparently work well with 6dB crossovers. The active crossovers that I have found are either 18dB or 24dB. Is that going to be a setback for me? Can I modify them or just shut up go with the reccommended 6dB "Foccus" passive?
I did want to mount the amps in the speakers with a torroid in each speaker. I am unclear about Voltage and watage. At 100 Watts RMS I need 35-0-35 250VA for each speaker. Is transformer voltage directly related to wattage? I have been reading about LM3886 and the article I read showed a chart with Voltage to wattage.
I really don't need 100 Watts RMS per driver. In fact 25 Watts per driver would be plenty. I don't want dynamic compression either. My primary listening will be 1 meter from the left speaker and 1 meter from the right. I prefer not to attenuate because it's to loud. I'd rather design it so that full power is the right listening level at my sitting position.

Hide this!Advertise here!