Parametric EQ based bass boost circuit - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Hengy is offline Hengy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok, So I was looking around the ESP site, and I came across the Baxandall tone control circuit. A few adjustments later, I came up with this. Simulates exactly what I want!

Click the image to open in full size.

Next step is to build it.

rsavas,
I'll need to place an order from Digikey. They have the NE5534P. I'll get two, and compare them to my LME49740s I have. I like to think my ears are pretty good! (and my Audio Technica M50s, too!)

Hengy
Old 27th January 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm not saying it won't work, just that it's not a true parametric equalizer. I get the impression you think I'm claiming Rod is 'lying'. People say all sorts of things that aren't true by misunderstanding. I use 'lying' when someone attempts to deceive but I don't think that of Rod at all. I use him a a reference on occasion. Or maybe I'm just too picky.

This may very well be all you need. You have reduced tuning range and no control of 'Q' - while it's operating. You CAN change the 'Q' with component changes but it's not easy to do it with a pot in this configuration. Again, this may be totally satisfactory as it is. Try it and if you need more control it's possible.

G
Old 27th January 2013, 12:02 PM   #13
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Popular Electronic article has this option to run from a single supply. It lifts the EQ ground to 1/2 Vcc & uses two of the OPA's to buffer this 1/2Vcc to create a virtual ground.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Hengy is offline Hengy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Stratus46,
You misunderstood me! I in no way think Rod is lying. I thought that it would not work because of what I was trying to turn it into - something that I didn't fully understand. That's all. I have reward the ESP site from top to bottom many times, and consider Rod to pretty much be the authority!

I googled for a "bass boost" circuit before trying to adapt my own, but didn't find much.

The last circuit I posted does everything that I want. I think I started with something too complex with the parametric EQ.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hengy
Old 27th January 2013, 12:45 PM   #15
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bass boost ckts, take a look at Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
In particular, Active Filters, shelving low pass, if all you want is extended bass boost.

Hide this!Advertise here!