miniDSP pre-amp & volume control idea - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 09:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Are those yours?

Very nice.
Old 4th February 2013, 01:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Use a metal case for shielding.

The miniDSP, like many digital devices, runs from multiple high speed clocks and is spraying EMF all over the place.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
Are those yours?
not mine but very pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLapDance View Post
Use a metal case for shielding.

The miniDSP, like many digital devices, runs from multiple high speed clocks and is spraying EMF all over the place.
copper foil
Old 4th February 2013, 02:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

My PSU arrived today, and dsp should ship next week.

Copper foil sounds perfect.
Old 16th February 2013, 11:55 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Its here...along with miniDSP's mic.
Old 17th February 2013, 09:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
What sort of PSU are you using?

Wall wart? fully regulated etc?
Old 19th February 2013, 01:20 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

If I am recalling correctly, I once asked the MiniDSP folks if the 4x10 could be used as a preamp. They told me that the front panel selector could be configured to switch between analog and digital sources, similar to a preamp.

Your 2x8 board is the same one that is in the 4x10 but you will need the volume control and the source selector unit (DIGI-FP? I forget the exact part number). You can control everything from one knob...

-Charlie
Old 19th February 2013, 11:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hello Charlie. I purchased it with the volume control and DIGI-FP, so yes it should work as a pre-amp (even has a learning remote inbuilt)

I searched for ages for a way to use the miniDSP with multiple inputs, I recently purchased a Rotel Pre and Power amp, just to use the analogue switching and volume control. I was keen on purchasing the Audiolab MDac again for the same reasons, but dropping 500+ on a product with which the DAC isn't used seemed silly.

Do hopfully for under 300 I have a pretty amazing product. Twinned with the mic I should be able to do room calibration.

I want to start commercially producing speakers, and the 2x8 allows me to have a few pairs or large 4ways rigged up.

I now have a spare 2x4 DSP, MiniDIGI and MiniAmp that I can allocate in my workshop for testing.

Just need a nice case for my 2x8, its bigger than I thought, and my old case idea might need adjusting.

Louis
Old 6th March 2013, 10:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Dear all,

I used to have a preamp in a wooden box, and the hum was not objectionable, until I got rid of hum from the rest of the system. I would still make a preamp box out of wood, as it looks nice

I would never condenser a wooden box finished if it did not have shielding, as I coudl now listen for the hum and not expect it to be present. I suggest Aluminium foil stuck with PVA around the inside, of your boxes.

If you have come to like having non conductive containers, you could cover again with paper, after the first layer dries

Regards

Owen
Old 24th June 2013, 06:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

*Update,

Finally found ten minutes to machine down and cut to size some really figured American Black walnut. And now I have a 8 channel power amp, I can fully utilise the DSP.

The plan is to make a simple box, with through dovetailed joints, and a turned walnut control knob. I have some slate I would like to use for the top, not sure how to cut it though!? And have some sheets of copper which would make a amazing top with good shielding.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Trying to work out the best way to isolate the power supply from the board, do you think having a simple division of wood wrapped in some foil is enough? I could have a slice of copper going across, or fold it around the psu.

Ideas most welcome.

Hide this!Advertise here!