Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2012, 12:57 AM   #11
pdm4606 is offline pdm4606  United States
diyAudio Member

Default simple high pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
A simple "Y" made with only wires will give you mono sound through the M50 also, so I assume you're including some interchannel isolation.

To calculate the value of a series capacitor with a rolloff frequency of F, we use the formula C=1 / 2piFR, and here R is 50K (close enough). So for 100Hz, C is about .032uF if I did my cypherin' right.

All good fortune,
Chris
I only had one .047 cap to experiment with. I made a filter using an old rca female-female coupler. I tore the coupler apart to bare metal. I soldered the .047 between the two center connectors and put a ground wire across the outside. It worked better than I expected. The highs on that channel were elevated for some reason slightly but not in a detrimental way.
My goal of stopping my AR 18 woofers from floating in and out has been met.
I probably should have mentioned that issue at the start. The other channel without the high filter still has a floating woofer issue but that will be fixed when I finish another high filter.
The sound seems improved and that is a plus. I now have some caps. on order to complete the project.
Really working great. I am impressed.

Thanks for doing the math and your help.

Paul
Old 28th December 2012, 02:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

More Fmod Crossovers
FMOD Crossover - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free
Old 28th December 2012, 04:00 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm4606 View Post
...I now have some caps. on order...
What kind of capacitors? Should be nonpolarized, high enough voltage,* and probably poly (polypropylene or polystyrene). I don't recall all the ins and outs of caps, but I know some materials aren't good for audio. Like tantalum, I think.

I'm also somehow thinking it would be good to have a very high value resistor (200k?) across the center pin and outside of the M50-side RCA, to drain down the capacitor at shutoff. But maybe there is enough resistive path at the input and preamp out to do that. On the other hand, a parallel resistor could tune the frequency higher as well.

*Voltage rating should be 2*sqrt(2)*preamp output, or about 3x the preamps maximum output voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!