DIY 3 way active crossover: as Christmas Holiday Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to start this long cherished project. I tried to go through the overwhelming search procedure but found no recent posts prior to starting this new thread, I'm afraid.
Also I googled a lot but I am decisively indecisive on which schematic to select.

Since it is a DIY project for me, I need a schematic

1. that uses commonly available parts, no odd component values, and performs very well

2. made and thoroughly tested to entire satisfaction by our experienced users so that I could hold your always extending helping hand for help as and when it is required

3. if any Eagle project files or design spark files exist ( top and bottom layers)
since I use old toner transfer method to make my PCB.

Eagerly awaiting your valuable inputs regarding a circuit that is ready to build, tested and giving professional result.

Thank you all. :)

Update:

The hobby project is a finally done!
It is based on an article by respected Mr. Mick Gergos of www.siliconchip.com.au .
It is full of exhaustive and minute details and and an extremely well thought out guidance.
http://archive.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30278/article.html

Thank you so much friends for all your help. :)
319744d1356550082-diy-3-way-active-crossover-christmas-holiday-project-x-over-completed-protype.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try the project personally ? How is the performance ?

It is well written project. Everything is available there. My advice is to please take a time to read completely.

Personally I build 2 way active crossover with eq. And I can turn it into 3 way by fitting passive filter at high-pass output. I like passive component for mid & tweeter.

But this may not suitable you. You asked for "3 way active crossover"

Best Regards.

Thank you Pra3718. I will go through the page and keep you updated about my progress.

I saw you are from India too. Could you please suggest what speakers set I can use as you know the concern of availability of branded speakers and cost here in India , I guess?

Last edited:
There is good mfg. at delhi. Please search for. I happy with it. Cheap and good. After successful build you can replace with better one.

Thank you Pra3718.
Earlier I used Philips, Bolton, YP, and some local make. Philips and Bolton were better sounding. At present I am using panasonic not bad.

I made a 2 way active system and realized I was really missing something with low cost commercial 2/3 way passive solution. Hence I am trying to upgrade to a 3 way one despite the challenge involved.

Many suggested that a 3 way system might not perform well in a small listening room(ref: youtube videos on which speakers to choose).
But the sound of my DIY floor standers in tandem with this active system with 4 X TDA2050 are simply loved by every listener ( 15 out of 15 so far). Thats an inspiration for the DIY-ers like us

Thank you again

I have made and used above said crossover. It has very good performance...compare it with esp project...It is almost same.All parts are easily available & every detail including pcb pattern is provided on site.
thanks.
sudhir

Thank you really so much Sudhir for your kind advice. I consider your this post as an encouragement.

Sometimes we face problem due to a slight inadvertent mistake in the PCB design posted on the internet . But your words really helped me to get rid of that concern.

Could you please tell me how you made the PCB ? I am a bit hesitant to use my old toner transfer method in this case as the board is large and fairly complex.

( Oh, I purchased 6 TLO74 Ics and sockets and some 1% metal resistors. And some other parts are already in my inventory. So wish me luck please :) )

Attachments

• tlo74.jpg
    tlo74.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 644
Thank you so much Piersma for your reply.

I am using a two way setup from the ESP site. I definitely found an improvement using them over my passive network that I used earlier. No biased opinion here. So I decided to use a 3 way system mainly to learn, to experiment while DIY-ing is an added pleasure.

The links are really good. But unfortunately they have hardly any readymade PCB layout design to start with ( except the kit which is the best way to make a quick start). Perhaps I can design the layout myself but I am impatient right now :)
The last link has a very well thought out discussion on different aspects of using Xover as I can see.
So I sincerely do appreciate your post. Thank you again. :)

Thank you sreten.

Could you please recommend some reading material in this regard so that I can understand it better?
I need them because my next work is to tune up my DIY Floorstanders. They sound very nice "by chance".
I need to know what more can I do to optimize their acoustic response.

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.