DIY 3 way active crossover: as Christmas Holiday Project - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 02:00 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir kumar View Post
Please share you speakers / entire setup photo also.
sudhir
Okay Sudhir.
Though the amp setup is not aesthetically pleasing yet, but as per your request and with the excuse of my being a DIY noob, here are some photos.
I added 3 potentiometers, instead of the preset variable resistors, to the front panel of the preamp section in a separate cabinet. This is mainly because I have no audio oscillator and a good multimeter to check the signal level as suggested in the site. So I am doing it with constant trial and error method and trying to guess what is optimal for me. But I can say that now I have a way better control over the individual BASS, MID and TREBLE range.

Earlier I said that the Car Speakers are good in a near field listening environment. They offer very good clarity for sure but, to my utter surprise I've found that normal speakers are better in my enclosure as far as the creation of sound stage is concerned. I used two full range speakers for the mid-range from an old and obsolete music system. Please note that this is my purely subjective opinion after a lot of listening from DIY standpoint without having access to any measurement tools.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Amp Now.jpg (670.0 KB, 188 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:44 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csom View Post
Okay Sudhir.
Though the amp setup is not aesthetically pleasing yet, but as per your request and with the excuse of my being a DIY noob, here are some photos.
I added 3 potentiometers, instead of the preset variable resistors, to the front panel of the preamp section in a separate cabinet. This is mainly because I have no audio oscillator and a good multimeter to check the signal level as suggested in the site. So I am doing it with constant trial and error method and trying to guess what is optimal for me. But I can say that now I have a way better control over the individual BASS, MID and TREBLE range.

Earlier I said that the Car Speakers are good in a near field listening environment. They offer very good clarity for sure but, to my utter surprise I've found that normal speakers are better in my enclosure as far as the creation of sound stage is concerned. I used two full range speakers for the mid-range from an old and obsolete music system. Please note that this is my purely subjective opinion after a lot of listening from DIY standpoint without having access to any measurement tools.

Thank you.
Thats a good start from a diy newcomer. I also use the same type of enclosure for amps. For front of the amps and xover you can use mica sheets used in electrical switch board. You can get it cut and drilled according to your need from local electrical shop guys. You should use volume control on the amps also because if you want to connect them directly to some other source,they will create problem .That full range speakers are very suitable for mid range.Tell us some thing more about your floorstanders...it diy or what ?
Happy listening
thanks
sudhir.
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:31 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Some examples of my work
regards
sudhir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100 watt complete (Copy).JPG (490.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 100wattamp (Copy).JPG (495.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg diypcb (Copy).JPG (510.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg quasi for begineers amp (Copy).JPG (490.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:32 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Amidst our several conversations in IMs, a dear fellow junior member and newcomer to the DIY world expressed his dissatisfaction with the toner transfer method while making a PCB with ICs.
So I am posting these photos of the PCBs that I designed with the freeware version of Eagle and drilled and etched at home, just to show him my results and as an encouragement to him and other newcomers who need to see.

1. First I use toner transfer method, then minutely examine for the missing/broken traces if any.
2. Then I drill it with a very cheap hand drill using 0.5mm tiny drill bits.
3. Then with a permanent marker I fix them if I find any problem.
4. I etched them at the last stage.

The main advantage of following this procedure is that you get all your drill holes perfectly centred with properly fixed pads.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home made pcbs .jpg (173.0 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by csom; 3rd January 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:41 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some examples of my work
regards
sudhir.
Very well done Sudhir. Perfect PCBs. Thank you so much for posting these. They will act as an encouragement to me.

Thank you.

Last edited by csom; 3rd January 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:53 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... For front of the amps and xover you can use mica sheets used in electrical switch board. ............

Tell us some thing more about your floorstanders...it diy or what ?

sudhir.
Thank you for the suggestion Sudir. That's a great idea indeed. I will try and report you back.

Regarding the Floorstanders, It's all DIY as usual.

Here how it all started ......

I got some extra ply wood pieces after a long pending wood work in the house. Earlier I had a plan to put them to some other use.

Meanwhile I was reading about many freely available speaker plans on the net. So I started making a DIY floor stander pair reading so many good things about them.

I took resort to the 3d sandbox of the local standalone Opensimulator Installation which provided me ample scope and flexibility to do unlimited and effortless experiments to my heart's content with various speaker designs visually. And I did a mix and match of some free designs.

Still I'm learning a lot from my several mistakes while making this.

Although the touch-up has been deferred due to my recurrent serious health issues and the successive bed ridden conditions, these gems sound awesome by providing a crystal clear reproduction. They can even produce roof shattering, thundering Bass too when the amp is cranked up.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker plan in opensim.jpg (219.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg FLOOR STANDERS MAKING.jpg (478.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 4th January 2013, 04:18 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Please share some more info, plans etc for these floor standers...I am also interested in making these type of speakers
regards.
sudhir
Old 4th January 2013, 05:11 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

See my DIY floor standers.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10455...770?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/10455...56233805754450

Thanks,
Bibin
Old 4th January 2013, 10:26 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please share some more info, plans etc for these floor standers...I am also interested in making these type of speakers
regards.
sudhir
Here are some plans and designs to start with..

1. SpeakerBuilding.com - Decent Floor standing Speakers for Home use, Page 1

2. Zaph|Audio

3. DIY Floorstander Speakers

4. Daedalus

5. High Efficiency Speakers

6. https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...gettingstarted

All the best.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:30 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibin3210 View Post
You are a passionate pro bibin. Amazing works! They all have the "wow-factor".

Since this thread is moving towards speakers design now, do you think we should start a new thread so that you could share your experience and tips with us?

Last edited by csom; 4th January 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!