DIY 3 way active crossover: as Christmas Holiday Project - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 11:46 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Hello CSOM, which speakers are you using in your floor standers ?
Old 4th January 2013, 11:55 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir kumar View Post
Hello CSOM, which speakers are you using in your floor standers ?
Sudhir,
For the Woofers two Panasonic 8 Ohm 6.5 inches Mid bass ones.

For the tweeters, Panasonic 4 Ohm 2.5 Inches

Recently I also added two Robertson 8 Ohm 3 inches Tweeters.

And for the midrange I discarded the car speakers as mentioned in that post and using the full range speakers from an obsolete Philips 3 in one that I bought long ago.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:35 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Sudhir,
I personally think that it's the best to use the speakers from the same brand in your setup to obtain better overall balance especially when you are an Indian DIY enthusiast and world famous Drivers are either extremely costly for the average hobbyist or simply unavailable here.

Earlier I helped a friend repair his 2 way system made with local brand Sweton. The passive network coil used in that system had a really good price/performance ratio.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:14 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

So far I listened to more or less some 9 brands( mostly Indian ) in different DIY and commercial systems since I got into DIY.
My personal observation is that in India, costlier speakers do not necessarily mean that they are better sounding. As you yourself are very well aware that it depends on the enclosure design, preamp, proper corrective enhancement of the Equalizer, listening field etc. and a cheap brand can display an outstanding performance in many cases.

I just wanted to share my personal experience as a well-wisher before you spend a fortune on the speakers again in your next DIY project.

So happy building
Old 4th January 2013, 07:23 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csom View Post
Amidst our several conversations in IMs, a dear fellow junior member and newcomer to the DIY world expressed his dissatisfaction with the toner transfer method while making a PCB with ICs.
So I am posting these photos of the PCBs that I designed with the freeware version of Eagle and drilled and etched at home, just to show him my results and as an encouragement to him and other newcomers who need to see.

1. First I use toner transfer method, then minutely examine for the missing/broken traces if any.
2. Then I drill it with a very cheap hand drill using 0.5mm tiny drill bits.
3. Then with a permanent marker I fix them if I find any problem.
4. I etched them at the last stage.

The main advantage of following this procedure is that you get all your drill holes perfectly centred with properly fixed pads.

Thank you.
boards prepared by toner transfer look very decent mr som
Old 5th January 2013, 08:48 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godslayer View Post
boards prepared by toner transfer look very decent mr som
Thank you bro.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:13 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please share some more info, plans etc for these floor standers...
Sudhir,

Here is the second part in the attachment. I used opensim 3d sandbox to make things clear with my level best effort.
Post your feedback please.

This design is working very nicely in my listening environment. But it may not be an ideal one, I'm afraid. I am learning so that I can optimize it later on.

All the very best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY SPEAKER PLANNED IN OPENSIM.jpg (913.0 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by csom; 5th January 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:12 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csom View Post
Sudhir,

Here is the second part in the attachment. I used opensim 3d sandbox to make things clear with my level best effort.
Post your feedback please.

This design is working very nicely in my listening environment. But it may not be an ideal one, I'm afraid. I am learning so that I can optimize it later on.

All the very best.
These speakers are original panasonic ? from where you sourced it ? and about the design of florstanders there is no partition between mid and woofer...I suspect that's why your mids were not sounding great ?
regards
sudhir
Old 7th January 2013, 12:21 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These speakers are original panasonic ? from where you sourced it ? and about the design of florstanders there is no partition between mid and woofer...I suspect that's why your mids were not sounding great ?
regards
sudhir
Hi Sudhir,
I have not used photos of my speakers in the mid and tweeter in this 3d model posted earlier. They are just one photo with different texture offsets. This is just a quick and dirty 3d representation to give you a rough idea of the plan, size and the inner side of the floor standers as per your earlier request.

But you know even if there is no partition between mid and woofer, the midrange is really very detailed and great sounding, at least to my ears after I experimented with different speakers. Each instrument or vocal is so unprecedentedly distinct now! And now I can control them on-the-fly more with the X-over.

I have no camera to post good photos and the phone is causing problem right at this moment. I will post photos of the each type of speakers very soon. Just give me some time. I couldn't go to purchase the speakers as I am not very good health wise. I sent a friend to buy some speakers from Chandni Chawk. They are very very cheap.... some 65 to 235 INR max (i.e. 1.18 USD to 4.25 USD approximately ).. hence probably refurbished but perfectly suitable for my budget and experiment. I will buy some good speakers when I can save some money in the future.

Please do share your plans and ideas so that I can improve myself.

Thank you.

Last edited by csom; 7th January 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 26th May 2013, 09:38 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Dear csom,

Its a bit OT, but, i want to know, you are using 4xtda 2050 in stereo configuration,
each tda 2050 for 35w output should be put up @ 18-0-18 V transformer @2A?
but in your circuit, i see it being driven by 12-0-12 transformer which looks like a puny sized(pardon me) max 2A?

Dont you think to put up your amp @ full potential you really need a bigger transformer?

12-0-12 @2a is barely sufficient for one tda 2050 and here it is used to run 4?

i can understand if you have very high 88w/db/m sensitive speakers.

but im confused how is mere 2A serving your purpose? do you use it to draw out just a few watts(<<30w)in stereophonic 4 channel combined outs before they clip?

Hide this!Advertise here!