GHOST in 3 band graphic equalizer!! SOS!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First a brief history:
I started to build a 3 band Equalizer using NE5532 as per this website. 3 band EQ

First I tested the second part of the circuit on a breadboard and it worked as expected. ( attachment: graphic eq on bread board.jpg )

Then I made a quick PCB and built it.

Upon first power up it worked nicely but I found 2 problems

1. after some 10 seconds the sound started to spark
2. and gain reduced.

I touched my fingers at the input and it became normal again for another 10 seconds.
I added a 100k bypass Resistor infront of the 10uf/63v Electrolytic cap like this below in the input and the problem was solved! (Kindly see the attachment EQ FIX 1.png )

After some days I replaced the electrolytic input caps with a bigger nonpolar 10UF/100v caps. I found the sound was improved . I was happy. But after some 5 minutes the previous problem reappeared. i.e gain reduced and sparking noise.

I monitored the voltage ... +-15v okay, no over heating of the ICs, No pcb foil line is damaged. I tried my best to solve that but alas...
As a last resort I had to use the electrolytic caps again with the 100k biasing resistor.
Could please help me fix this problem so that I can use the bigger caps instead of the el-caps?
eq question how to solve .jpg

Thank you,
Best regards,
Som.

Attachments

• graphic eq on bread board.jpg
    graphic eq on bread board.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 378
  • EQ FIX 1.png
    EQ FIX 1.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 282
  • eq question how to solve .jpg
    eq question how to solve .jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Fixed the prototype. No more sparking or gradual gain reduction now.

Improvement: Noise is minimized to a great extent.

But the stereo image/ sound stage is reduced. weird. Earlier it was better.

Could you please suggest what can be done to increase Stereo image ?

Regards,
Som.

Attachments

• 4 caps added to the eq prototype.jpg
    4 caps added to the eq prototype.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 439
Problem solved! One of the pots ( midrange 100k ) had a dry solder joint.
All fixed now! Sound stage restored again !
Working great now! Thank you all!

If any newcomer, hobbyist ,like me, wants a quick, simple yet very effective Equalizer solution and add it to your DIY amp, please go ahead and give it a try, you will be surprised to see its performance. :)

Regards,
Som

Last edited:
I am lost as the el-caps are working perfectly with the 100k resistor but the bigger nonpolar ones ( which are dramatically improving the performance) fail.

The electrolytic has just enough leakage current such that it allows a DC path from the + input to the 47k resistor, the e-cap, and 100k resistor to ground. The film cap has very little (if at all) leakage current that's why the circuit no longer works with it.

The electrolytic has just enough leakage current such that it allows a DC path from the + input to the 47k resistor, the e-cap, and 100k resistor to ground. The film cap has very little (if at all) leakage current that's why the circuit no longer works with it.

Thank you so much for your valuable input djQUAN.
I fixed the prototype as per the original circuit and everything is really nice sounding , with hardly perceptible noise even at the highest volume with the magic of NE5532.

Regards,
Som

Last edited:
I have seen some manufacturers use electrolytic caps in graphic equalizer and audio amplifier kits in the signal path.

Just a question , if nonpolar caps are performing so nicely both at the signal input and output stage why the designer used electrolytic caps ? ( ref: post 1)

Is this a mere cost factor?

I found a new problem with the nonpolar caps I changed.

When the audio signal is fed from the output of the soundcard of the PC, it works very nicely and perfectly at a stretch without any problem.

But, when I connect cel phone, or other media player, the earlier low gain, sparking noise etc are reappearing again after some 2 minutes.

Could anyone kindly suggest how to fix that?

Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.