Convert mini Pre-amp from AC to DC power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remove the 2 regulators and solder the new power supply wires where the regulator Output and Ground pins were. Refer to the datasheets; the 2 regs have different pinouts.

K, thanks!! Just to make sure I get it, I remove both regulators completely then feed my power source to the output pin of where the regulator was? put +12 and ground on one and -12 and ground on the output pin of the other regulator?

So the power comes in and goes to the regulator then goes to the op-amp? by doing the above I am bypassing the regulator and sending power directly to the op-amp?

Mike

I tried to bypass the regulator and that still does not work. I bypassed the pre-amp to make sure my source and amp were working and everything is good. I also checked my supply voltage and its perfect.

Hopefully there is some way??

Or I guess I need to find another solution. I need a small pre-amp for my amplifier.

MP

You must be doing something wrong, or something is being overlooked by someone.

I took another look at the preamp board - bridge rectifier, feeding the 78L12 and 79L12 regs, powering the single DIP8 op amp package. Sorry, but my money's on the former.

Last edited:
You must be doing something wrong, or something is being overlooked by someone.

I took another look at the preamp board - bridge rectifier, feeding the 78L12 and 79L12 regs, powering the single DIP8 op amp package. Sorry, but my money's on the former.

Sofaspud,

Are you saying it should work with DC power supply? Or do you think its possible that I blew the op amp like AndrewT says?

Mike

I ordered the same kit and I'm trying to figure out how to power it. As I'm new to electronics, I'd be interested to hear if you figured this problem out.

My plan was to power the board with a laptop power supply, but it seems the DC voltage is not compatible with the stock board and I should look for a 12-0-12 power transformer with low amp rating?

help I'm an electronics baby!

To use a DC source such as a laptop power brick you need either a negative rail generator or a supply splitter.

Or a 12-0-12 transformer. The board already has bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitors.

Thanks for the clarification. I just ordered a 12v-0-12v transformer. I'm really excited about trying this project. I'm a little nervous that none of this will work and I'll have to scrap it, but I'll be awfully proud of myself if I can make a functional piece. :spin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.