McIntosh C28 With Bad Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have owned my C28 for about 4 years now but recently had to take it in to my audio tech for repairs. He has diagnosed a bad transformer and states that it needs to either be replaced or re-wound. He told me that to have it rewound, it would cost about $800 and otherwise doesn't know where to find an original transformer to replace it with (None available through McIntosh). This unit is in excellent condition with a perfect faceplate...near museum quality so I would really like to have it repaired but $800 to have the transformer re-wound is more than what the unit is worth. Anyone with any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks in Advance

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The options for keeping it original have already be covered by your repairer. Short of someone having a unit with a working transformer that they are prepared to sell as a donor preamp, rewinding is all that's possible, though $800 seems err..inflated.

If you are prepared to fit other parts, the necessary voltages could be supplied by standard transformers that fit in the available space. Only 12-0-12V AC and 5V AC windings are needed from that but a low current, 150V or even a 75V winding transformer (which is likely the blown winding) would be necessary whether the original transformer remains in place or not. That should still be obtainable from any transformer manufacturer in a low enough current rating to keep it small. Alternatively, a complete substitute transformer could be made for less money.

Economical Transformer Rewinding Service

After not receiving any replies here for several days to my query, I contacted several reputable McIntosh restorers with my problem. Received a very useful referral from Terry DeWick who told me he had a C-28's transformer re-wound by this company last year and that they do quality work. I'll be sending mine to them. $155 to rewind the C-28s transformer. Here is the link :

McIntosh

Are you sure that the transformer is the only thing that is bad? It is very unusual for a transformer to die. I have a bunch from decades ago that have been through a ton of stress that are still chugging along happily.

If your transformer is really bad, I would double check everything else in your amplifier because other things are probably broken too. Imagine what would have to happen to damage a solid rod wound with copper... very unusual.

I understand the booster transformer is used in auto mode to match the load. If your speakers are 8 ohms or more, then the transformer is probably not necessary. In an extreme case, to increase the load capacity can try to upgrade and install additional output transistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.