analogue active filter: MFB or Sallen Key?

thanks guys. Ive made Sallen Key types before, but this would be a 1st design effort. Resources like those are useful thanks again. Im studying analogue EE at the moment, and I have to admit MFB were until last week, unknown to me :D Currently reading R. Mancini and J. Karki.

Edit: this is for my own interest, NOT an coursework assignment.

Last edited:
state variable and biquads are others ive heard of, in fact it may have been a biquad circuit i build from an ETI article long since lost :(

the fdnr is very intriguing circuit, i was reading the blurb and thinking of using it for a different app altogether. Basically a device to measure 2 independant frequencies and output a voltage from each, and display the percentage difference. Long story lol

I have a beringer GEQ3102 31 band EQ, this also has low and high cut 2nd order butterworth circuits. Low cut is variable between 10 and 400hz, but via a rotary switch or digi pot. 10 clicks between 50 and 200hz, so perhaps not continuously variable, but not bad.

The aim being to make a 2nd order Butterworth low pass, perhaps variable over a similar range, for a cheap active 2way or assisted fullrange system.

Last edited:
You can just use LTSpice IV and EvoSpice 4.1 and let them decide the best component values for a filter. You still have to give a specific circuit arrangement though.

Linear Technology - Design Simulation and Device Models

EvoSpice 4.1 & 4.2

1960’s Style Speech Filter Circuit

I agree. I think i could use most of the Linear software :) Thanks for the great links!
I have multisim and im getting to grips with it the last few weeks. I used circuitmaker for a long time, great free program, perhaps lacking in features but so easy to use. Im computer savvy and mid 30s but even so I find so many 'serious' softwares to be stupidly counter intuitive.

Last edited: