Active crossover component suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of taking a double dip into bi-amping and active crossover design! :D

I'm looking for suggestions on the active components that are:

- relatively forgiving
- of reasonable quality
- inexpensive (good value per US$ given the above considerations)

If such a beast exists. Opamp, transistors or some flavor of FET, I'm open to suggestions.

Right now I've got a chip amp with some full range speakers that I'm quite happy with. I'm thinking of throwing together a sub for the above mentioned setup.

I'm looking to get my hands dirty. If it actually works, bonus!

Here is my plan: Active Filters

Anyone have a favorite?

I'm thinking of taking a double dip into bi-amping and active crossover design! :D

I'm looking for suggestions on the active components that are:

- relatively forgiving
- of reasonable quality
- inexpensive (good value per US$ given the above considerations)

If such a beast exists. Opamp, transistors or some flavor of FET, I'm open to suggestions.

Right now I've got a chip amp with some full range speakers that I'm quite happy with. I'm thinking of throwing together a sub for the above mentioned setup.

I'm looking to get my hands dirty. If it actually works, bonus!

Here is my plan: Active Filters

Anyone have a favorite?

Your link was to SL's site. You might like also to look at Rod Elliott's site "ESP", here: Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index)

Go into "Projects" and look at P09 and P81. I use these in my 3-way active Maggie setup. :)

Re. what actual components to use - that's entirely a matter of how much you want to spend. ;) My own are built with Beyschlag metal film resistors but the electros are Black Gate and the film caps are RelCaps. I used AD826 opamps - simply bcoz I read about 10 years ago that these gave good bass (in a comparison with others).

BTW, IMO Siegfried's design are complex - Rod's much simpler. Which is the better one for you depends on what style of speaker you are turning active. In my case, Magiies just need simple HP/LP filters - so Rod's circuit is ideal.

Good luck,

Andy

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you are just going to go with a sallen-key 2nd or 4th order then you won't need any large value caps, I've used vishay MKP-1837 caps in my prototype active crossover. They are good quality, suitable for this type of circuit and their tolerance is very good.

I went with a mixture of vishay dale cmf55, cmf60 and welwyn 0.1% resistors (as local suppliers don't stock all values in any particular series), which is probably overkill but I wanted to make sure that there were no channel to channel differences.

Tony.

I like Rod Elliot's 2 way 24dB Linkwitz Riley project.

Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

But personally I don't like opamps, instead I would use Nelson Pass style B1 buffers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/156094-b1-active-crossover.html

:scratch2: I'm toying with the idea of using a cascoded version of the buffer used in the F4, that way I can get a large voltage swing straight into a BA2 output stage, that way I only need one gain stage before the crossover, rather than one stage each for the low and high sections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.