Preamp OP-AMP...help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So ive rolled a few OP-AMPs on my soundcard..and ive found that the AD8599 to
offer the best sound for my ears.Only complain i have its that its a bit rough around the edgets more on the high end of the freq range.
I wonder if i can smoothen those rough edges without loosing any of the benefits this IC has to offer.
Will changing the NE5532P in the preamp stage of my active speaker sistem with another help in this mater?Im thinking the OPA2134 witch seems to be close in specs to the NE5532 but sounds smoother,cleaner(in the soundcard at least,i have no idea how it will sound on another circuit).

Thank you in advance.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Moved to Analogue Line Level :)

First you need to understand that swapping opamps isn't always a case of "plug and play". How do you know its not oscillating at HF and that that is the cause of the "rough" sound at HF ?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

As to replacing the NE5532 with the OPA2134. Well that is one swap that does stand a good chance of not just working but also being a noticeable sonic improvement. But as allways... you should check and confirm all is well.

Hi,

You can't roll op-amps like you can (to an extent) valves.

Its very difficult to improve on op-amps well chosen for purpose,
if the choice has a cost constraint, then it is possible, at expense.

rgds, sreten.

Correct choice is far more important than cost or reputation.

1st. well i might have missused the term rough...the op am seems stable(i have a very sensitive ear..so i can hear even the smallest of changes),there are no oscilations as far as im aware ..what i ment by "rough around the edges" was actulaly the fact that this chip delivers a slithly sharp HF range ..and id like to "soften the edges" a bit.

"Correct choice is far more important than cost or reputation."

That is true..like i previously stated ive tried a few OP-ams on my soundcard the first one was the National LME49720..and i dont like it..like i said ive picked the AD8599 as i like it the most out af the chips i tryed and i tried a few..

Hi,

You can't roll op-amps like you can (to an extent) valves.

Its very difficult to improve on op-amps well chosen for purpose,
if the choice has a cost constraint, then it is possible, at expense.

rgds, sreten.

Correct choice is far more important than cost or reputation.

I have to disagree with you when age comes into play. The 4558s in my Biamp equalizer were one of the few afforable options in the late 1970's. Now they are more than deprecated.

Here the question isn't whether there is a better replacement (even for the same price). The question is how and with what?...

Well mostly its about what sounds better to you.Every op-amp has its own flavor if used corectly.I like the AD8599 as a buffer for my souncard as i enjoy the sound it produces.
What i wanted to know and check(as i havent tampered with my active speakers yet)was that if the OPA2134 would be a good idea to replace the 5532P in the preamp stage.(i found that they share similar traits..when used in the soundcard with the OPA2134 delivering more detail and having a smoother sound ovarall).

Yes, when you design an opamp circuit you will know that most other opamps will not work optimally in the same circuit. Some, even better opamps, will just not work.

When I roll opamps (we don't always have reliable models for opamps, do we?), I expect to get better result from high quality build opamp, especially from Analog Device, which has more or less the same (or slightly more) slew rate than the original.

I don't know, AD opamps are just good.

Thx everyone for the help.Ive done some testing and went for the AD8599 in the preamp stage of the active speaker system and the OPA 2228 in the sondcard the result is very satisfying keeps the tonal wormth of the OPA and ads the life and involvement of the AD IC.

Izuall said:
1st. well i might have missused the term rough...the op am seems stable(i have a very sensitive ear..so i can hear even the smallest of changes),there are no oscilations as far as im aware ..what i ment by "rough around the edges" was actulaly the fact that this chip delivers a slithly sharp HF range ..and id like to "soften the edges" a bit.
You would need a very sensitive ear to hear supersonic oscillation as such. What it can sometimes do is present itself as slight roughness in the audio range. Other times it is completely inaudible, or produces obvious distortion.

Chris Daly said:
To get a better sound from op amps you need to improve the power supply to each rail. whilst traditional decoupling using capacitors is always good and necessary the use of transistors as shown at blog: opamp - opamp construction under section power supplies and opamps, is worthwhile trying.
I thought we had seen off that transistor nonsense a couple of years ago. Please don't make us go through the pain again of trying to explain it to you.

You would need a very sensitive ear to hear supersonic oscillation as such. What it can sometimes do is present itself as slight roughness in the audio range. Other times it is completely inaudible, or produces obvious distortion.

I thought we had seen off that transistor nonsense a couple of years ago. Please don't make us go through the pain again of trying to explain it to you.

us? surely you mean you, Happy listening :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.