wiring schematic for DPDT on-on-on toggle selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I have a single input shunt resister-based passive preamp volume control to which I want to add two more inputs and the ability to toggle between the three sources. Space is limited, so a toggle will fit better than a rotary selector.

Two questions: first, can someone point me to a decent DPDT toggle that is suitable quality.

Second, I just don't know how to wire up the toggle to include the three sources. I don't need to have a purist single straight through source connection, so avoiding impedance issues with other source components connected.

Thanks for help....my first post here

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So you want three inputs to be selectable to feed into this volume control. A DPDT will give you switching between two inputs not three.

Does it have to be a toggle ? or would a rotary be OK as you could use a 2 pole 3 way switch.

Thanks Mooly, so am I misunderstanding what is possible with a toggle switch only? I thought it was possible to have three selectable connections with an 'on-on-on' switch.

If I have to choose a rotary device, it will need to be small enough to fit in my casing, which was originally designed for one input only.

I like to do source switching with three or four ON-OFF-ON double pole center off switches. Jacks connect to the outer terminals and the inner terminals are connected together (and to a volume control). Tape record out and tape play go on the same switch. Easy to do and can be operated in the dark.

All good fortune,
Chris

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Here's an example of a small rotary,

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 236
on-on-on to progressively move along a row of inputs would require some form of latching at each stop position. And return to start at the next on.

The relay wiring for this will have been done, but I suspect the logic is quite complex.
It will be a case of searching until it pops up.

Switch centre off is input A
one side energizes K1 for input B
the other side energizes K2 for input C

K1 right and K1 left can be a dpdt relay or two spdt

same with K2

Does everyone forget the normally closed contacts?

:)

Attachments

• ON-OFF-ON.JPG
    ON-OFF-ON.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.