Cable Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone. I'm in now way an audio pro. In fact, I'm an audio noob.

But, I'm making my own microphone (3-pin XLR) and instrument cables (6.3mm TRS - repairing for church) and so I'd at least like to do a good job.

To the question:

What type of cable do standard 3-pin XLR cables use? 22 gauge? I've searched a generic "microphone cable bulk" online, but no specs come up. Also, there seems to be a lot of variation in structure - what's a good balance between cheap? I know that you need something like a sheath to stop interference, and the more insulation the better (generally), but after that... uh.... like this page. What do the drawings mean? What should I use?

Also, same questions for instrument cables. Is it the same cable for both?

Finally, can you recommend a place where I can get wire, by the foot (preferably - after that, 100ft. spools would be next up, I suppose), and pretty cheap? We're/I'm not looking for super high-quality. Just that they won't break and can take a battering.

Thanks for tolerating me :eek:
TehYoyo

You can use the same cable for micophones and instruments, and you want a cable made for the purpose. It has to survive a lot of movement and flexing and has to do it quietly. Get some decent ends while you're shopping, with a good strain relief. In the US, Markertek is the big dog, and will even make them for you if you want.

All good fortune,
Chris

microphone cable.

the better ones have less handling noise.
Look for a 4 core star quad with a screen. The screen can be just foil or just lapped wires or dual lapped wire or crisscross wire or a combination of foil and wire.

These are also available ready plugged in a wide variety of lengths. The PRO market are generally good value, quite different from the Hi-Fi market.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll get the Canare 4 core star cable. Pretty cheap (50 cents a foot) and I've read good reviews on other websites.

What's the difference between mini cable and normal cable?

That's an excellent choice. Mini cable is smaller diameter, but I'd lean towards the standard size for stage use. It gets a hard life.

All good fortune,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.