Tube preamp kit from ebay - worth my time?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so i have alot of options on the table right now.. im gonna give everything a look and make my choice. im still considering the ebay kit option as it is very cheap and this project is intended for fun and i want to keep it as simple as possible! heres another kit i saw on the bay:
6Z5P 6N8P Tube Preamp Board with Volume Bass Treble Adjustable | eBay

this one seems a bit nicer then the first one i posted.. no balance which is good and the tubes are standing so better heat management. as far as the circuit goes - i think its pretty much the same.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hopefully you ordered one with a 120V power transformer otherwise you will have to get another one.

The Aikido likely would blow the doors off of this thing, but cost wise at least a good place to start.

Turn on first and allow to warm up BEFORE turning on your solid state power amp. Turn off power amp before turning off the pre-amplifier. Loud thumps or worse are otherwise a distinct possibility.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I assume by this point that Jaffa has pretty much been overwhelmed by Tel Aviv. There was a very cool Arabic restaurant and bar on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean with a patio having spectacular views. I still remember the hookah smoking patrons in the bar area which was upholstered in some red velvet.. Food and soda was good.. :D

MATISE TUBE FANTASY PRE AMP.

so i have alot of options on the table right now.. im gonna give everything a look and make my choice. im still considering the ebay kit option as it is very cheap and this project is intended for fun and i want to keep it as simple as possible! heres another kit i saw on the bay:
6Z5P 6N8P Tube Preamp Board with Volume Bass Treble Adjustable | eBay

this one seems a bit nicer then the first one i posted.. no balance which is good and the tubes are standing so better heat management. as far as the circuit goes - i think its pretty much the same.

MATISE TUBE FANTASY PRE AMP.

Hi I just purchased a MATISE HAND BUILT PRE AMP it uses 2 X ECC83 and 2 XECC81 and 1 XEZ80 Mullard Rectifier tube, I have not plugged it in as yet, As I just ordered a set of Tubes and waiting on Delivery, This PRe AMP has Got 2 Pairs of RCA OUTs and 2 Pairs of RCA Inputs and is wired to for AC240 VOLTS.
ANY Idea how does this pre amp sounds, I will be Coupling it to a SOLID State Class A CROWN POWER LINE 3 Power AMP, as a Friend of mine is Building a Pair Of TUBE MONO BLOCKS using 2 X Driver Tubes and 4 X KT 88 Output Power tubes. I got a Pair of KLIPSH LASCALA 3 way Speakers,
Any idea how this pre amp will match my speakers.
Kind Rgds
Francis Jansz
fsj@iprimus.com.au

2 or 3 Way Tube Variable Crossover Unit

I am thinking of By Amping or Try amping,
I am seeking for a TUBE CROSSOVER UNIT either 2 way or 3 way Stereo.
Any idea of what they cost, Or has any one got a Good Circuit Diagram so i Can Get a Friend to Build it for me.
The 3 way Speakers I got is: (1) Bass Woofer KLIPSCHORN K33 Works at 4 Ohms,
MID BASS MIDRANGE HORNS JBL 2386 B /8 ) ohms , From 500 Hz to 5000 Khz at 12 DB Slope, With JBL 2" Driver, The Tweeter Can work down to 3,500 Khz, I am thinking of Crossing it at 18 DB Slope 8 Ohms from 5000 Khz or 6000 Khz It is a JBL SUPER BULLET 2402 Tweeter.
Any help or advise Will be Appreciated.
Kind Regards
Francis Jansz (fsj@iprimus.com.au)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In case anybody is still interested: this appears to be the schematic.
Doesn't look half bad I think.

Jan

Attachments

• YUANJING HiFi 6N3.jpg
    YUANJING HiFi 6N3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 359
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.