How to make a volume control 50cm from pre-amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm making a pre-amp+power amp unit which goes in to a speaker box (active speaker). The input connector is in back panel and I want to have a volume control (pot or rot switch) in back panel too. The problem is that the back panel is 40cm away from pre-amp.

- It would be easy to wire the input connector to pot and use it as an attenuator. But then I have to increase the gain. No good.

- If I use opamp in pre-amp as a volume control, I'll have 50+50cm wiring and it might pick up noise. Right?

Now I'm thinking to have a digital potentiometer in preamp and control buttons in back panel. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tipo

LDR

Hello,

I'm making a pre-amp+power amp unit which goes in to a speaker box (active speaker). The input connector is in back panel and I want to have a volume control (pot or rot switch) in back panel too. The problem is that the back panel is 40cm away from pre-amp.

- It would be easy to wire the input connector to pot and use it as an attenuator. But then I have to increase the gain. No good.

- If I use opamp in pre-amp as a volume control, I'll have 50+50cm wiring and it might pick up noise. Right?

Now I'm thinking to have a digital potentiometer in preamp and control buttons in back panel. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tipo

Maybe You could use a ldr and a led with a potmeter in series .

Cheers Rens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.