How to make a volume control 50cm from pre-amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2012, 05:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to make a volume control 50cm from pre-amp?

Hello,

I'm making a pre-amp+power amp unit which goes in to a speaker box (active speaker). The input connector is in back panel and I want to have a volume control (pot or rot switch) in back panel too. The problem is that the back panel is 40cm away from pre-amp.

- It would be easy to wire the input connector to pot and use it as an attenuator. But then I have to increase the gain. No good.

- If I use opamp in pre-amp as a volume control, I'll have 50+50cm wiring and it might pick up noise. Right?

Now I'm thinking to have a digital potentiometer in preamp and control buttons in back panel. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tipo
Old 14th October 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default LDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipo1000 View Post
Hello,

I'm making a pre-amp+power amp unit which goes in to a speaker box (active speaker). The input connector is in back panel and I want to have a volume control (pot or rot switch) in back panel too. The problem is that the back panel is 40cm away from pre-amp.

- It would be easy to wire the input connector to pot and use it as an attenuator. But then I have to increase the gain. No good.

- If I use opamp in pre-amp as a volume control, I'll have 50+50cm wiring and it might pick up noise. Right?

Now I'm thinking to have a digital potentiometer in preamp and control buttons in back panel. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tipo
Maybe You could use a ldr and a led with a potmeter in series .

Cheers Rens
Old 14th October 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Screend cable will be fine i cant see your problem.

regards Mark
Old 14th October 2012, 09:48 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

try drawing your layout with simple modules (input, pot, amp, spkr, etc.) showing each part.
Old 14th October 2012, 10:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

mount/solder the pot on the pcb of the preamp and then use a metallic or hard plastic cylindrical thin rod to transfer the rotational motion from the back panel to the pot.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demeterart View Post
mount/solder the pot on the pcb of the preamp and then use a metallic or hard plastic cylindrical thin rod to transfer the rotational motion from the back panel to the pot.
+1. Put the pot where it should be. Extend the shaft as needed.

Hide this!Advertise here!