MAT02 transistors on eBay, are they genuine? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MAT02 transistors on eBay, are they genuine?

Does any one know if the MAT02 transistors from the following eBay links are genuine?
IC ADI TO-78(-6) MAT02EH | eBay
1pcs MAT02EH MAT02 Low Noise Matched Dual Monolithic Transistor | eBay
AD MAT02EH CAN-6 CONN HEADER 18POS 0.1 STR 15A | eBay
MAT02FH Manu:AD Encapsulation:CAN-6,Low Noise, Matched Dual Monolithic | eBay
MAT02CH MAT02 -- Matched Dual Monolithic Transistor ( NEW ) | eBay
Old 13th October 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know, but why did you ask? The feedback on the sellers is very favorable.
Old 13th October 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

All the pictures on the pink foam appear to be the same picture, just cropped and zoomed differently -- look at the texture of the foam. If you read this forum you'll find that some folks have managed to do OK buying components on eBay from Chinese vendors, but many have not. You have to answer two questions: a) can you afford to lose your money if it turns out to be a counterfeit and b) once you get it, how do you determine if it's genuine? Given you're likely buying this for its super-good matching, low noise, etc., you want to be sure it's the real thing.

If you decide to proceed, purchase more than needed, cut the can open on one unit and inspect the die under a microscope and see if it's the genuine ADI die. Note that even if it turns out to be the genuine article, it may be that someone is stealing rejects from the factory and selling them.
Old 13th October 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I can afford loosing the money for the few MAT02 I need. However, I can I determine for sure if they are genuine, or if they perform equally to the genuine transistors?

A reliable European source charges about 4 times the charge those Chinese vendors are asking for.
Old 13th October 2012, 04:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Note that even if it turns out to be the genuine article, it may be that someone is stealing rejects from the factory and selling them.
That can happen.

Joshua, how many do you need? I can send a few that I know are genuine. You can save your money for other stuff, send a PM.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
That can happen.

Joshua, how many do you need? I can send a few that I know are genuine. You can save your money for other stuff, send a PM.
Hi Scot,
Thank you very much, you are a real sport.
PM sent.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Hi Scot,
Thank you very much, you are a real sport.
PM sent.

Good thing and warning mine are all laser branded, not to say the others are not genuine.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, it's difficult for me to believe that some genuine ones will be laser branded and others print branded.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Well, it's difficult for me to believe that some genuine ones will be laser branded and others print branded.
I just noticed that the last seller has the part in a test carrier (not shipped that way) and branded MAT02C a grade that does not exist.
Old 14th October 2012, 02:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I just noticed that the last seller has the part in a test carrier (not shipped that way) and branded MAT02C a grade that does not exist.

Which is what I suspected...

Hide this!Advertise here!