diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analog Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/)
-   -   Newb interested in DIY preamp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/221478-newb-interested-diy-preamp.html)

keager 13th October 2012 02:32 PM

Newb interested in DIY preamp

Hey everybody. I'm new to this forum and am loving the DIY audio hobby. I've almost completed a classdaudio sds1000 amp for my Cleawave Loudspeaker design Dynamic 4tse speakers I already built and love. I am interested in building possibly a high end preamp or dac. I am currently using a denon avr3311 for music and home theater and wondering what other things I can build to increase the sound quality. i love the sound already, so it is partially just for the fun of the project, but would like some direction. Possibly a kit or existing design? Thanks in advance!

keager 13th October 2012 02:38 PM

Forgive me..I should add that I use a Squeezebox touch for a source 99% of the time. Can either be connected by rca or optical connector

Einric 13th October 2012 02:44 PM

Would you just be looking for 2ch preamp?

keager 13th October 2012 02:57 PM

Sorry, should have gave more detail. I want to keep using the denon for movies. I guess 2.1 channel because I have an extravagant underfloor IB subwoofer system. I do also have a mini dsp8x8 for eq ing both sub and towers if needed. Thanks.

keager 14th October 2012 01:37 PM

I'm not really sure that what I am wanting is possible with having 2.1 in an audiophile quality diy preamp, so I may not know what I am talking about. Hence, why I am seeking advice hear:o

AndrewT 14th October 2012 01:59 PM

The volume control is normally the very last item before the Power Amplifier.

If you have an integrated 2.1 amp + decoder you don't have access to the three inputs into the three power amplifiers.

If there is a way to break into the feeds into the power amplifiers, then you would need a three channel pre-amp to control volume.

keager 14th October 2012 02:07 PM

I have two seperate amps. One four the tower speakers and another for the subwoofer system, if thats what you are getting at. Thanks

mikje 14th October 2012 02:42 PM

If you're looking for something to answer the DIY bug, try Googling "DIY 2.1 amplifier." There are many high quality kits available. I don't know much about DSPs, but can your DSP provide a 2.1 configuration if you use a typical two channel signal? If so, there are many high quality two channel amps available. I built a chip amp from Audiosector and really like it a lot. Tube amps are another option. I rebuilt a tube amp out of an old console.
Mike

keager 14th October 2012 03:04 PM

Thanks, I already have the amplifiers, I am just wondering about a preamp. When I google preamp kits, it looks like they are just a board, and looks like I would need to figure everything out that doesn't come with it. which isnt a problem if I have proper instruction. I don't know if the increase in sound quality over my denon avr would be worth it, but if the kit is relatively inexpensive I would like to try. would learn a lot in the process I'm sure.

sachu888 14th October 2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keager (Post 3201240)
Thanks, I already have the amplifiers, I am just wondering about a preamp. When I google preamp kits, it looks like they are just a board, and looks like I would need to figure everything out that doesn't come with it. which isnt a problem if I have proper instruction. I don't know if the increase in sound quality over my denon avr would be worth it, but if the kit is relatively inexpensive I would like to try. would learn a lot in the process I'm sure.

Hi,
I have a PCBs for this preamp DIY Simple Active Preamp - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums very easy to build even for the first timers.I can send you the part list(only 13 parts).This can be run on 2x 9 V batteries.Total build cost should not be more than $30 and a case of your choice.This will definitely improve performance of your AVR

Regards,
Sachin