Bob Cordell's VinylTrak

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bob Cordell's Linear Audio Vol 4 article 'VinylTrak - A full-featured MM/MC phono preamp' led to a discussion that resulted in much additional material.
Bob has been so kind to place this on his website.

I'll shortly put up a link from linearaudio, but if you are interested in this stuff the additional material itself is well worth a read.

And, of course, if you want to reach out and actually touch the equipment (or Bob ;)) find us in the lobby at the RMAF coming weekend!

jan didden

Last edited:
Bob Cordell's Linear Audio Vol 4 article 'VinylTrak - A full-featured MM/MC phono preamp' led to a discussion that resulted in much additional material.
Bob has been so kind to place this on his website.

I'll shortly put up a link from linearaudio, but if you are interested in this stuff the additional material itself is well worth a read.

And, of course, if you want to reach out and actually touch the equipment (or Bob ;)) find us in the lobby at the RMAF coming weekend!

jan didden

Hi Jan,

Thanks for putting this up and thanks for putting the VinylTrak preamp on display at RMAF. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the VinylTrak.

Cheers,
Bob

Interesting, A home stereo product I assume, with rack ears?

Hi Robert,

Looks have never been my strong point :). The VinylTrak preamp is currently just a one-off DIY prototype for audiophile home use. That enclosure with the rack ears was convenient and large enough to house the electronics, but not something I would use going forward. I had hoped to get a nicer front panel made by someone like FrontPanelExpress, but just didn't have the time. I'd also like to put it in a much nicer enclosure.

Cheers,
Bob

I see just two capacitors in the inverse RIAA.
2000pF & 560pF.
Both these need to be tight tolerance for good RIAA accuracy.
Is absolute 1% as important as 1% matching ratio between the two capacitors?

i.e. could the capacitors be 2% high (or 2% low), but the ratio be better than 0.5%?

I ask because I can see that 4off 1nF would get close to the desired values. It would be possible to get very close ratio matching by adding a 56pF and a 3p9F to a series pair of 1nF+1nF (for 559p9F) cf. 1nF//1nF (for 2000pF).

Once this inverse RIAA is correct then it would be possible to trim the RIAA components to give good absolute and channel matching of the pre-amp.

Last edited:
I see just two capacitors in the inverse RIAA.
2000pF & 560pF.
Both these need to be tight tolerance for good RIAA accuracy.
Is absolute 1% as important as 1% matching ratio between the two capacitors?

i.e. could the capacitors be 2% high (or 2% low), but the ratio be better than 0.5%?

I ask because I can see that 4off 1nF would get close to the desired values. It would be possible to get very close ratio matching by adding a 56pF and a 3p9F to a series pair of 1nF+1nF (for 559p9F) cf. 1nF//1nF (for 2000pF).

Once this inverse RIAA is correct then it would be possible to trim the RIAA components to give good absolute and channel matching of the pre-amp.

Hi Andrew,

I tried to get as close as possible to the original values specified in the Lipshitz paper for his inverse RIAA network. I used 2% silvered mica capacitors and 1% metal film resistors, with no precision measurement or matching of these components. These capacitors usually come in much better than the 2% tolerance; same for the 1% resistors. To answer your question, the capacitors should be close to the right value in the absolute sense, not just in their ratio to each other.

One thing that can be very useful is to do LTspice simulations of such networks to see how much error you get, and where, with slight deviations of component values from the ideal.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Robert,

Looks have never been my strong point :). The VinylTrak preamp is currently just a one-off DIY prototype for audiophile home use. That enclosure with the rack ears was convenient and large enough to house the electronics, but not something I would use going forward. I had hoped to get a nicer front panel made by someone like FrontPanelExpress, but just didn't have the time. I'd also like to put it in a much nicer enclosure.

Cheers,
Bob
Hi Bob, Fabricating chassis are a pain for electronics guys. I know this because I do both all of the time. Keith Barr (Alesis Studio Electronics) quote "The electronics are the fun part, the hardware is what is real work". Good luck at the show!

Hi Bob, Fabricating chassis are a pain for electronics guys. I know this because I do both all of the time. Keith Barr (Alesis Studio Electronics) quote "The electronics are the fun part, the hardware is what is real work". Good luck at the show!

Very good point. This is one reason that my hat goes off to those who go ahead and make a beautiful product.

Cheers,
Bob

Please write more about the switches resistor/synthetic load, switches loading the cartridge with resistors and caps, switches of damping change and how to connect mm cartridge to input, should it be direct to fets gate and 100k resistors, or with 10 Ohm resistor divider?
thank you in advance

Hi Bob
I bought LinearAudio vol4 but could not find the details how to make synthetic cartridge loading, only cement, plan and bricks ;-) is it maid of ie OPA2134 set @+10 gain and the inverted @-1 gain?

Hi padamiecki,

The VinylTrak preamp does not support synthetic cartridge loading. The part of the article that mentions synthetic loading was just informational, and in regard to noise in phono preamps. I apologize for the confusion this caused.

Cheers,
Bob

Doug Self implemented the synthetic cartridge load ckt in the new 2012 pre-amp that was published in Elektor, have a look at that!!
Rick

Hi Rick,

Yes, I'm quite familiar with it. Probably not the way I would do it. I first did a phono preamp with synthetic loading back in the early 1980's. IIRC, it had a discrete X10 non-inverting input stage. A unity-gain op amp took that output and fed it back to the cartridge input through a 430k resistor to get the required 47k load.

Cheers,
Bob