Getting a PGA2310 to be silent - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

You cannot blame the PGA for your problems.

Looking at your photo, your layout probably has issues. How you arrange your grounding and cable dressing will have a significant effecton EMI susceptibility.

I built a high end pre with this device and I can tell you it is superb. Further, Esoteric s' top of the range line pre uses this same device for the volume and gain element (the core of any preamp) and its gotten superb reviews. In fact one reviewer said 'one of the best preamps I have ever auditioned'
Old 14th October 2012, 03:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

does it matter if its the pga chip's fault or the fact that its so hard to work with and get stellar results?

I'm sure that with proper grounding, psu-ing and layout - and with pre and post buffering - it should be able to perform well. but the chip is finicky and you do have to be careful about the scr latchup. have to worry about that with cirrus, too, but to a lesser degree.

btw, how would wiring or any of that affect getting clicks at, say, a binary rollover point like 32db? I do hear a click as the internal resistors change over. now, again, I'm not prebuffered but I do cap-block since dc offset is known to make matters worse for clicks and knob movements. I know I tried the burr brown version and the cirrus pga version of the chip as well as the 5v and 12v versions. every one of mine had transitions clicks.

so far - even though - its early in my testing - I'm not hearing this at all in my 3318 proto and that is all hand wired on perf board, about as bad as it can get, lol. yet I don't hear any of the noise or clicks that all my pgas had.

if its really hard to get the pga to work, and there are other choices, then why even bother? there are other choices, now.
Old 14th October 2012, 04:30 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
...now that I'm getting good luck with the cs3318.
Good idea, rely on luck.
Old 14th October 2012, 04:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I wonder if anyone have a project done with DS1808 digital pot. I am not so experienced with programming, so my tries to interface DS1808 with MSP430 Launchpad failed. IR control was planned.

Regards, Vic.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:21 PM   #15
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree with Linuxworks to a certain extent, I know the PGA can be good and I know it's in some very high end equipment but It's not really working in my situation.

I've done star grounding for the PGA and its chassis as best I can, without the VFD connected, with the cover on and it's better but still not acceptable in my opinion, I still hear slight hiss/noise when connected to the Hypex.

Maybe it's the PCB layout or the fussy Hypex amp but I can't really change either of these right now.
Old 14th October 2012, 06:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
Good idea, rely on luck.
reading comprehension not your best skill, huh?
Old 14th October 2012, 11:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
does it matter if its the pga chip's fault or the fact that its so hard to work with and get stellar results?

I'm sure that with proper grounding, psu-ing and layout - and with pre and post buffering - it should be able to perform well. but the chip is finicky and you do have to be careful about the scr latchup. have to worry about that with cirrus, too, but to a lesser degree.

btw, how would wiring or any of that affect getting clicks at, say, a binary rollover point like 32db? I do hear a click as the internal resistors change over. now, again, I'm not prebuffered but I do cap-block since dc offset is known to make matters worse for clicks and knob movements. I know I tried the burr brown version and the cirrus pga version of the chip as well as the 5v and 12v versions. every one of mine had transitions clicks.

so far - even though - its early in my testing - I'm not hearing this at all in my 3318 proto and that is all hand wired on perf board, about as bad as it can get, lol. yet I don't hear any of the noise or clicks that all my pgas had.

if its really hard to get the pga to work, and there are other choices, then why even bother? there are other choices, now.

Lower the logic supply rail and Slow down the logic rise fall times.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The PGA analog rails go up to +- 15V (IIRC). So, you have plenty of overload margin with this device. Might not be absolutely critical in a home hi-fi situation, but necessary for professional use. The Cirrus chip is +-5 V.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:47 PM   #19
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Lower the logic supply rail and Slow down the logic rise fall times.
What does this mean? Lower VD? Lower VA+/-?
Old 15th October 2012, 01:45 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Reading datasheets may not be the lucky way to implement low noise devices but it is a good start to any DIY when you know zip about suitable layout or precautions.
PGA2310 datasheet(2/16 Pages) BURR-BROWN | Stereo Audio Volume Control

Hide this!Advertise here!