DRV134 and protection diodes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 10:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DRV134 and protection diodes

Hello, I'm looking for information about protecting a DRV134 from 48V Phantom power.

I found an article that speak about protection diodes, specifically 1N4148 type, but, after some tests, recommends to use Schottky diodes because works better and are more safer in this application.

So, what is the best diode for this application? And what are the features to consider?

Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

suggest you look here;

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn140.pdf

for most everything you might need to know about interfacing a pre with the "real world"

Charles
Old 9th October 2012, 02:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your report.

Actually this article explain very well how to design a mic pre, but my problem is exactly "on the opposite side".

About one month ago, during the sound check for a live performance, accidentally the PA engineer sent the 48V Phantom supply on my sub-mixer that I use for keyboards. This mixer had been previously modified by myself using a couple of DRV134 on the main outputs L&R (since they were unbalanced).

The result is been that a DRV134 is been completely burned, while the other survived but it sounds really bad, enough to be unusable.
On the other side, the PA mixer has reported no damage on its mic preamps.

Now I need only to find a safely way to avoid this in the future, and the Schottky diodes seem to be the best way at the moment, according page 6 of this article http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/AES5335_48V_Phantom_Menace.pdf.

Any other ideas?

Hide this!Advertise here!