MUSES 72320 electronic volume

Hello,

I build a Pass Labs XP-30 clone first with a DS1882 as a volume regulator chip. I set it on an extra board to be able for an easy exchange. With this configuration the preamp works wonderful and plays much better than my X0.2 clone I had in use before.

A couple of days ago I changed the DS1882 boards with a MUSES72320 board. Of course I gave the preamp thereafter 2 days of warming up and than I listen very carefully to the results.

I'm very bad in describing listening results, but the new chip is incredible good and the complete preamp performs better than before. The richness of information is better and there is a change in the treble reproduction.

Overall the right decision. But if you want to use that chip read the data sheet very carefully. The digital interface need some care.

Regards

Ralph

MUSES Volume Control on Ebay

Hi guys!
I was reading your discussion and reviews of the MUSES volume control with a great interest. It looks like it's definitely worth a try. I tried a few electronic volume controls from TI and Cirrus Logic, but they sounded harsh.

I found a board on Ebay yesterday, but not sure if this what I need:

Muses® Hi End Electronic Volume Control | eBay

Is it the same MUSES chip?

There is obviously a difference between Spiri’s board and mentioned offer in ebay:

Spiri developed a “passive board”, say a 4-fold input selector (with relays) followed by the MUSES. MUSES chip is not buffered with any active devices, buyer has freedom to design his own audio electronics. His board has several regulators on board and he also offers a suitable supply board and a display with controller.

Ebay offer seems to have only one input going directly to MUSES chip, which is followed by a dual opamp-buffer/amplifier. Opamps’s outputs may probably be muted with a relay. Connections for control functions are visible but not populated. There are no regulators on board; it may be used as an active linestage which needs an external voltage regulation.

What do you want from a muses application?

I think, the best thing is to place the muses directly behind the relays and as short as possible before the preamp or buffer. A short signal paths is one of my guidelines for a design.
A input selection is always useful.
While replacing a normal potentiometer on the frontplate with a muses board, the signal paths and cables are very long from the front back to the frontplate and back to preamp.
Not everyone likes the op amps as the output stage.
Maybe a buffer directly behind the muses is a thing, then the muses can be used as buffered passive preamp. With servoloop ?

It would be nice to collect here some ideas for a muses application, which makes everyone happy.
I look forward to inspiring discussions or to see some pics of your muses implementations.

Here's what I'd like very much, as a newbie. Besides liking it, I'd actually buy this! A board with nothing except the volume chip and whatever passive components are absolutely required. No input selection, power regulation, or buffers of any sort. Also, the option to get the volume board with whatever is required to use it in a balanced circuit (hey, I just said I'm a newbie).
Separately, offer the volume control board with the option of buying a knob and display that will work with it. Personally, I'd buy all of the controller stuff and two volume boards for a true dual mono design.
I understand the need to keep signal paths short, but this quickly turns into a lot of design decisions being made. I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of signal path length for the freedome to choose the implementions for selection, power regulation, and, of course, buffering. How about spec'ing unusually high quality PCB traces and whatever else you know along those lines? I've just started researching that aspect of things.