Ultrabass, psychoacoutstic low bass for little speakers - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 09:05 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

I have enclosed the exponential circuit that "worked" best in the simulations. There is room however for better dimensioning.

The working principle is that the exponential relationship of base current and base voltage of Q13 is used to caues an output voltage from E17. The voltage sources are set to a gain of 80 dB and are therefore quite good approximations of OP-AMPs. R68 is there to bias the circuit such that the base voltage doesn't get negative during the lowest point of the negative going halve-waves of the input signal.
Q12 and E16 are there to set the bias for Q13 and for thermal compensation. This part of the circuit might have a tendency for oscilations in real-life. This could be solved with a cap from the output of E16 to its inverting input (i.e. the classic dominant-pole compensation).
Any small-power NPN should work. Just take care that they are of the same type and that they are thermally coupled (and no don't directly solder metal-can types together as most of them have their collector connected to the can).

I think it sholdn't be a bog problem to design the filter and summing stages. At least not the circuit itself. Finding the best filter cutoff frequencies might be a matter of trial and error and of course personal taste.

In a few weeks I will have some more time and probably try it on a DSP. I play ERB and will probably make some sound samples if the effect is worth it.

Regards

Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bass-ext_circ.JPG (23.9 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by phase_accurate; 19th October 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:22 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Charles? Curiosity got me. What is an ERB?
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:22 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

the component values depend upon what device you use and what Voltage you run it at.

I haven't had chance to build a breadboard version yet but mine will be run from a split supply and used mains powered, so battery life is not an issue, the 074 is also a device that draws more quiescent current than you would desire for battery operation, but I have a supply on hand and use them in test instrumentation..
rcw
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:24 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

This is the one I will be committing to breadboard..
The filter and the mixed in level are adjustable in this to allow adjustment for the best subjective effect.
rcw
. Edit:- The shunt capacitor should have a value of 4n7, not the on on the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: gif stereobassbbd11.GIF (5.6 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by rcw666; 23rd October 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: wrong value
Old 27th October 2012, 06:36 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

ERB = extended range bass

Regards

Charles
Old 27th October 2012, 01:35 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
ERB = extended range bass
Regards
Charles
Oh yeah, that's a good test. Big extended range bass meets. . . little speaker.
Old 12th August 2013, 02:58 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Housekeeping. At post 1, the link to HeadWize bass enhancement quit working after they had a server problem and lost about a quarter of their projects. So, here it is secured as a PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jan Meier - Psychoacoustic Bass Enhancer.pdf (456.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 12th August 2013, 03:31 PM   #68
jayadev is offline jayadev  India
diyAudio Member

What is an analog multiplier ?

I know logarithmic amplifiers only
Old 14th August 2013, 04:06 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

An analog multiplier is basically an AGC circuit. It is an amplifier who's gain (multiplier) is set by a control voltage. An AM modulator is also one. It does this using analog components rather than digital logic.

Logarithmic amplifiers can be used to construct an analog multiplier by putting an anti-log amp after a log amp and then adjusting the offset of the log amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!