IS THIS EARTH LOOP,LEAKING CAPS OR BROKEN LINK? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2012, 05:02 PM   #1
teleman is offline teleman  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default IS THIS EARTH LOOP,LEAKING CAPS OR BROKEN LINK?

Hi,
I have just finished constructing a mic/piezo blender preamp circuit,but experiencing one persisting problem with it. The circuit works as it should but when I touch the metal mute switch ( DPDT-centre "off") or the aluminum plate on which all the controls ( all plastic "Omeg" controls) are mounted,then there is considerable hum. However, when the "mute switch which functions as a signal inverter for both signals, inverter is in off position or when I touch the metal part (signal ground) of either the input or output of the "Lumberg" type mini sockets the hum stops completely!

The "hum" is not as loud as a "broken,open circuit or bad signal ground hum & doesn't increse as much with the increase in volume.

Both the +/- 15v dc supply voltages are stable & the signal grounding seems ok!

I have used up all my logical deduction capabilities....so desperately need some one to tell me or give me some suggestions,as to how I could isolate the problem!

Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Connect a braided wire (or a reasonably thick insulated wire) from Signal Ground to the metal plate.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:16 PM   #3
teleman is offline teleman  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I tried your suggestion but it didn't help! The inputs are unbalanced, but I have grounded the balanced output " signal ground" to the chassis via a ground lift switch,but this seems to have no effect what so ever, as the hum still persists.

I then isolated the piezo side of the preamp & it works without any hum, so I presume the problem is with the mic preamp section. I will check this circuit later & see if I had overlooked something.

cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!