the definitive opamp decouplig question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, refered to decoplig the opa627, I searched in this forum about the best components for decopupling and I've found very differents opinions, + to ground, - to ground , and + to - 0.1 uf. so I'm still very confused:
0.1 tantal + 10 to 100 uf electrolytic
0.1 ceramic np0 + 10 to100 uf electrolytic
0.1 ceramic xr7 + 10 to100 uf electrolytic
0.1 film + 10 to100 uf electrolytic
only 0.1 tantal
only 0.1 film

Any definitive combination? Is important the quality of the electrolytic? (I have silmic, elna hfq, nichicon fine gold and muse in my stock)
thanks !!

0.1uf SMD ceramic (smallest package you can find) next to supply pins Pos to GND and Neg to GND. X7R have the smallest cases so are best.

Thanks Marce, I will try this, I dont have measure equipment so I just use my ear to find the best combination. now I have 100uf + 0.01 ceramic np0 + to ground and - to ground. to my ear sounds exactly the same with just 0.1 uf film + to -. I'm a little surprised about how some people achieve "big sound improvements" with just different capacitor rolling in op amps. I barely find any difference even with differents opamps "upgrading" in 3 differents preamps, very subtle changes, maybe different coloration but I cant say better.
Thanks again

bernat123 said:
I'm a little surprised about how some people achieve "big sound improvements"
I'm sure you have noticed that men never boast about anything, especially when it might imply that someone else is less skillful, less choosy or less observant. Men hate to hurt each other's feelings so tend to play down differences which they, rightly or wrongly, perceive to be present.

......................... I have 100uf + 0.01 ceramic np0 + to ground and - to ground. to my ear sounds ..................
This may be a bad combination.
The NP0 may be too close to a "perfect" capacitor with losses/parasitics that are too low to achieve sufficient damping of the transients.

You should check with something other than your ears to identify a properly cleaned line that is near enough glitch free when transients pass.

This may be a bad combination.
The NP0 may be too close to a "perfect" capacitor with losses/parasitics that are too low to achieve sufficient damping of the transients.

You should check with something other than your ears to identify a properly cleaned line that is near enough glitch free when transients pass.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I will try with 0.1 film, the opa627 is replacing the rc4560 but I feel the rc4560 still sounding more natural, I'm sure the opa627 is better than the rc4560 .
thanks for your support

I just have a fluke meter and a solder station :( and my knowledge of electronics is very limited. I have been reading in internet a lot of articles about the easy opamp upgrading in old equipment and the sound improvement so i was very tempted , I read the only precaution is avoid the oscillation in fast opamps but this is very difficult to achieve without good electronics knowledge. I'm reading now the opamp handbook but his level is away from me (for the moment :)) In the past I've moded and upgraded some valve amplifiers, changing the printed circuits into hard wiring, rolling valves , changing heaters .... and was a very big change in sound quality so I was thinking the opamp will be more easy now ( and more safe without 450v in my fingers :))

Last edited:
As Andrew has said COG have to good a Q factor for decoupling, hence the lower spec of X7R's are better in this case, apart from decoupling of xtal oscilators, here better EMC results are achieved by using a very small value COG (low nF) with a 0.1uF X7R.
What decoupling will do is not realy alter your sound significantly, but it will clean up the power, help with rf immunity and cleaner power means a cleaner signal. Genneraly these things are investigated using a scope, but he values etc I have described we put on analogue boards day in day out for op-amp decoupling for a whole range of analogue electronics (audio, instrumentation, etc etc), consider it common practice by analogue engineers and on op-amp circuits,or almost even inductry standard practice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.