Discrete Opamp Open Design

Is the I2 connection to the output follower correct? Don't think I've ever seen that before.

That 20 mA source supplies current to asymmetric class A output stage.

Bootstrapped current mirror supplies voltage between gate and source of the output device. It would be interesting to compare results with a single pnp transistor loaded on resistor between source and gate.

Chris,
Yes it's correct - see the AD797 opamp (designed by Scott Wursor). In the schematic shown, if 5mA runs through each of the resistors R5, R6 then, about 5.5mA will flow out of the Q3,Q4 emitters, leaving the remainder of the I2's 20mA to come from the output Mosfet M3. The entire circuits self biases up automatically.
Paul Bysouth

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Looks pretty good to me -

If for the moment we allow complimentary JFET’s there is complimentary symmetry on the circuit I posted. Here for those that are interested. Load the output with 90k and the open-loop BW is 20k while the OPEN-loop distortion is -70dB. I thought these things were good folk medicine for the sound. The triple-darlington is virtually no load to this and can be biased to drive a heavy load too. At 20k the base current re-capture lowers the open-loop distortion by 30dB.

This is a nice design. can you give the transistor types you recommend using here, pls. Thx - RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I was speaking from the perspective of my career as a patent examiner for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In the patent world, they are considered not analogous. I would never look in steam engines for a control scheme of an opamp and it would never hold up upon appeal.

So, what you consider analogous is not what I consider analogous.

Which is exactly how i consider it as well or anyone working in corporate America. If it hasnt been done in THIS field, it is patentable.