Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2012, 08:00 PM   #881
diyAudio Member

Didn't even see that, just looked at the Sydney name, I should have caught the Harman, I do have an older Harman amp here, I won't spell Kardon right probably either. Damned English teachers, they never did show up for class.....
Old 10th September 2012, 08:16 PM   #882
wayne is online now wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

I have to say the HK stereo in my Benz is pretty nice I haven't felt the need to mess with it. The auto end sure appears to be good for them if the stock price is any indication.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:28 PM   #883
diyAudio Member

I worked for HK-JBL too. Do you want me to expose what I found?
Old 10th September 2012, 09:16 PM   #884
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I have to say the HK stereo in my Benz is pretty nice I haven't felt the need to mess with it. The auto end sure appears to be good for them if the stock price is any indication.
The automotive biz has been the mainstay, although JBL Pro has been profitable.

It was joked about Gina Harman, Sid's daughter from a first marriage, that when she left heading up the Consumer Group to direct a non-profit foundation in NYC, that she was a good fit, having had lots of experience not making a profit.

The brands of course were used wherever it made sense in the Automotive Group, although they had nothing to do with the original businesses. In some ways Corporate would have considered shutting some of the originals down, but they needed to have brands to help sell car systems.

When Multimedia (under various names) started to make little powered speaker systems for Compaq and Dell, both the JBL and harman/kardon brands were deployed. It was remarked that regardless of whether the division made money (and it did, a little, for a while) the brand recognition was a considerable benefit --- many computer users had never heard of harman/kardon, although their parents and grandparents had.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:23 PM   #885
diyAudio Member

You too can share John, It seems to be dump on Harmon International day. I worked with them in the old Balboa Blvd. plant. They weren't terrible to work with all the time, but I sure learned my lessons about letting them see my work.

Steven
Old 11th September 2012, 09:40 AM   #886
diyAudio Member

Default fully differential OPamp

How about fully differential OPamp a la OPA1632 (aka THS4131)?
Attached Images
File Type: gif THS413X aka OPA1632.gif (34.5 KB, 316 views)
Old 11th September 2012, 10:06 AM   #887
Account disabled at member's request

Scott interesting circuit in post 135, something different to the usual seen to death circuits seen here. I did some simulating with it although I admit 15 min is not enough but Im a bit busy with other things. Maybe its the jfet models Im using or some other mistake but I dont get even near the distortion figures posted here by other members. At 20 Khz the only way I can get to close -100db is by increasing the vas current substancially to around double the figure. What does one call that cascode used in the vas, first time Ive seen such a setup with BJTs. Ive been using composite cascodes for the last 5 years with mosfets for vas when seeking very low THD and it seems to me your cascode does the same function. My sim though showed that the circuit actually performs better without it at 20Khz ?

Ill have a second go at it tonight if I can spare some time.
Old 11th September 2012, 02:52 PM   #888
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staccatiss View Post
How about fully differential OPamp a la OPA1632 (aka THS4131)?
These are for low input impedance resistive feedback applications, if you scroll down the data sheet the high input impedance application requires a lot more stuff.
Old 11th September 2012, 03:07 PM   #889
diyAudio Member

Dick, this discussion of non-switching class B might be of interest.

margan : non switching class B
Old 11th September 2012, 04:36 PM   #890
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
Scott interesting circuit in post 135, something different to the usual seen to death circuits seen here. I did some simulating with it although I admit 15 min is not enough but Im a bit busy with other things. Maybe its the jfet models Im using or some other mistake but I dont get even near the distortion figures posted here by other members. At 20 Khz the only way I can get to close -100db is by increasing the vas current substancially to around double the figure. What does one call that cascode used in the vas, first time Ive seen such a setup with BJTs. Ive been using composite cascodes for the last 5 years with mosfets for vas when seeking very low THD and it seems to me your cascode does the same function. My sim though showed that the circuit actually performs better without it at 20Khz ?

Ill have a second go at it tonight if I can spare some time.
I see, open loop, about 136ppm, 2nd -81dBr, 3rd -80dBr, 1kHz, 14.5V out p-p, 200uV p-p in, with a perfect buffer, zero source impedance, R29 = 100 ohms. To make things settle more quickly I reduced C13 and C14 to 10nF from the suggested 100nF. Sims ran for 52ms with 1us steps.

Open loop d.c. gain shows as 123dB, -3dBr at 50Hz; phase is well-behaved at the canonical 90 degree shift to about 135 degrees at 22MHz, with C4 = 30pF as shown. The gain at that frequency is 9.2dB.

At 20kHz, 4mV p-p in, 14.5V p-p out, about 150ppm, again 2nd and 3rd dominating. Of course closed loop the higher loop gain for closed loop gains of a few will drastically reduce distortion, and at 1kHz especially.

Scott has of course warned us about the output buffer's contributions, so these results are rather idealized, but nonetheless interesting. And as usual perfect matching of the input devices is assumed.

Hide this!Advertise here!