Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2012, 12:01 AM   #601
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
JFET's have two temperature coefficients the Idss and the Vp are opposite in sign so there is a point of zero TC.
Thanks Scott. Yes, precisely. I suppose I wouldn't violate the fair use doctrine too much to copy the entire short section of Cobbold, as I believe it is long out of print.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:05 AM   #602
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Thanks Scott. Yes, precisely. I suppose I wouldn't violate the fair use doctrine too much to copy the entire short section of Cobbold, as I believe it is long out of print.
My copy walked years ago, Abebooks has it off and on for $70 or so.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:44 AM   #603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My copy walked years ago, Abebooks has it off and on for $70 or so.
I just checked. Yes, OOP for sure. However:

BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books, which searches most of the sites (sometimes misses recent Amazon offerings though), has some a lot cheaper, probably ex-library even when they don't say that explicitly. That's my go-to for comparables on books, particularly when I find I have duplicate copies.

I love to look at the front free endpaper on books of that age, when I still used to write my name there. You can actually make out the spelling, easily. Not anymore
Old 1st September 2012, 06:32 PM   #604
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As good a reason as any.
They also allowed for as few transistors as possible (no need for additional current sources for bjt biasing). It works very well --- if you find the matches as suggested; I got about 15-20% matches (.8v/1K) out of a batch of the jFETs.
Old 1st September 2012, 06:40 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Default close enough?

Quote:
Sorry Dick I misread the schematic (I read 51.1 Ohms on the penciled in values), you were aiming at 800uA but does not look too close.
.8v is about it but what I get from the circuit works extreamly well.... maybe could be even better... but was not needed. Maybe the data spec sheet is a little different from the devices I have... who knows. I didnt pursue it further when the prototype was as stable as it is. Thx-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 1st September 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 1st September 2012, 07:59 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
.8v is about it but what I get from the circuit works extreamly well.... maybe could be even better... but was not needed. Maybe the data spec sheet is a little different from the devices I have... who knows. I didnt pursue it further when the prototype was as stable as it is. Thx-RNM

Right, nothing gained by belaboring these details.
Old 1st September 2012, 07:59 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
An added final clarification: Note also that even though the matching uses .8 mA. With the values used in circuit (Re = 650 instead of 1K), the actual Id measures 1.1-1.2mA. Which is right where it needs to be for low TC.
-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 1st September 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 1st September 2012, 08:12 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
I just checked. Yes, OOP for sure. However:

BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books, which searches most of the sites (sometimes misses recent Amazon offerings though), has some a lot cheaper, probably ex-library even when they don't say that explicitly. That's my go-to for comparables on books, particularly when I find I have duplicate copies.

I love to look at the front free endpaper on books of that age, when I still used to write my name there. You can actually make out the spelling, easily. Not anymore

Ironic that this returned Abebooks as the lowest available ~$11, in any case certainly worth replacement at that price.
Old 1st September 2012, 08:18 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
An added final clarification: Note also that even though the matching uses .8 mA. With the values used in circuit (Re = 650 instead of 1K), the actual Id measures 1.1-1.2mA. Which is right where it needs to be for low TC.
-RNM
Dick. you could use an avatar and nice pithy signature.
Old 1st September 2012, 08:29 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ironic that this returned Abebooks as the lowest available ~$11, in any case certainly worth replacement at that price.
Yes, despite the improvements in parts since 1970, it holds up well.

Hide this!Advertise here!