Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 302 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2014, 08:25 PM   #3011
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
Sorry guys no time right now, too many other projects on the go.
Did you ever get one built and tested?

-RNM
Old 12th February 2014, 09:21 PM   #3012
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Reminds me of other Round Tuit projects ...
Old 12th February 2014, 09:40 PM   #3013
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I did the schematic/layout in smt, but never fab'd the pcb. I know you would like one done in THT.
Old 11th April 2014, 05:40 PM   #3014
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
*Bump* - Another set of improvements, this time to the venerable Melcor 1731:

1) Added LTP CCS - many pros and cons, but it reduces THD20.
2) Added LTP Current Mirror - requires some care because of the differential VAS.
3) Added VAS Cascode - tried a lot of arrangements, but ultimately it is deceptively simple. If you look carefully, this is equivalent to the VAS cascode in the SWOPA, but with transistors rather than diodes (one transistor is diode-connected).
4) Re-biased the VAS to keep the VAS currents roughly the same as the LTP currents - this helps to keep the LTP collector loads roughly balanced.

Overall, it is more complex than the FET990, and does not reach the same level of simulated performance or sonics, but it uses mostly BJTs (can be made 100% BJT by using a BJT doublet for the LTP CCS). Four pairs of these can be implemented with (matched) BJT duals.

Simulated THD20 at 4V into 600R is a very respectable -130 dBr. It does pretty good at fairly high swings as well, right up to the onset of clipping. Further simulation is needed to check the overload and clipping behaviour - it may require clamp diodes like the FET990.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m1731_cm_swvas.jpg (81.5 KB, 654 views)
File Type: jpg m1731_cm_swvas_4v600r_fft.jpg (57.4 KB, 648 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc m1731_cm_swvas.asc (8.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 18th April 2014, 07:01 PM   #3015
diyAudio Member

I think it would be much more enticeing to build if it had a JFET imput pair or cascode like Scott Wurcer's. Unless it's + input could be grounded as a summer. Ray
Old 19th April 2014, 07:24 AM   #3016
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhughes View Post
I think it would be much more enticeing to build if it had a JFET imput pair or cascode like Scott Wurcer's. Unless it's + input could be grounded as a summer.
Although I generally show unity-gain buffers in my simulation schematics for convenience, it's actually a full-fledged generic opamp with both inverting and non-inverting outputs. It could be used for just about anything that a universal nullator-norator opamp could be used for.

Of course, you could replace the BJT input pair with a cascoded N-JFET pair, and it should work with compensation tweaks. The practical problem with a JFET input in a discrete opamp is the requirement for close matching of Vgs at fixed current(s) - which is a bit messy do to manually with SOT23 JFETs. OTOH, A generic low-noise BJT like the Philips BC849c or 850c from adjacent locations on tape generally don't differ in Vbe by more than a few mV (or lower) at fixed currents. BJT duals are also more common than JFET duals.

Of course, I use JFETS (matching them manually) in the FET990. If I could find a BJT-only or mostly BJT topology that matches the FET990 in simulated performance, I'd seriously consider it. This one gets close, but needs further work.
Old 26th June 2014, 07:27 AM   #3017
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just curious ... apart from Scott's prototype, has a single working version of this ever been built by anyone ...?
Old 26th June 2014, 07:33 AM   #3018
diyAudio Member

Fet990, yes. I'm still working intermittently on ideas/topologies related to the Kaneda.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:49 PM   #3019
diyAudio Member

I have a thru hole printed circuit board on my computer. Haven't made or tested it yet. Waiting on parts to arrive. Ray
Old 29th June 2014, 02:59 PM   #3020
S.A.G. is offline S.A.G.  Italy
diyAudio Member

I managed to get the SMD version done, see attachment, but it's going to be a while before I'll populate the boards and test.

The boards are two layers and the bottom layer is a ground plane for the most part. Most of the silicon used is dual BJTs and current mirror duals for temperature tracking. The JFETs are singles because the Linear Systems parts are not so easy to procure here. The shielded box will be filled with a thermal gap filler pad and resistor on the bottom side of the board are used to fine tune the matching on bias current of the input stage and to set the bias of the output stage.

I also did a first stage only version of the board that fits into the shielded box footprint. It may be useful in some applications...

Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath

Giorgio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1771.jpg (811.4 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1772.jpg (671.5 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1773.jpg (529.1 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1774.jpg (481.2 KB, 105 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!