Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2013, 01:48 PM   #2751
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Back in the old days, docs used an optical endoscope to peep up one's pucker.

Nowadays, digital endoscopes sell around the corner for >>$1k, but also for as little as $50, with USB connector.
Just needs a clamp to hold the bottom handle in position, leaves a 3ft minimum snake to penetrate a board from any angle.

(I had my eyes lasered for long distance a couple of years ago, turned short sight to pucker-peep grade)
Old 1st March 2013, 02:07 PM   #2752
diyAudio Member

Jacco,
A friends father who was an eye surgeon told me long enough ago not to have the eye surgery. Warned me about what you are talking about and also the fact that after a few years when the muscles again age and lose more strength you are back where you started except now your eyes have already been surgically scared. I'll stick with the glasses until they come up with a stem cell solution and can regrow your own eyes.
Old 1st March 2013, 02:30 PM   #2753
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhughes View Post
I have used one on watch and clock parts to situate tiny screws.
Fun, no?? You a member of NAWCC?

I'm still able to use very cheap 4x glasses to do the clock work, but for some of the smaller KWM bushings, I use a second pair of 2.5x under the 4x. It does require getting closer to the work however. For scroll work (wooden gears) I use the 4x with a 250 watt halogen worklight 6 inches from the work.

A pair of 4 over a pair of 2.5 is good enough for surface mount work in general, but the small pitch SOIC's I use the stereoscope for.

jn
Old 1st March 2013, 02:36 PM   #2754
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default SMT soldering using a microscope

SMT soldering OT:
Hear is a picture of my latest creation, soldered using a 10x Loupe and my new magnifying head band from Amidon, no stereo microscope needed, although I have used a Leica in the past and they do help to speed things up, make sure to get one with the small circular fluorescent ring lamp.
I think Scott's suggestion of a USB based camera is the way to go.
You need two soldering irons as a must, it is the easiest way to remove/replace a two pad passive SMT part.
Good luck all, I am waiting to see what creations the members can come up with. I liked Scott's prototype as well.
P.S. Was laided off yesterday, any one offering jobs in the Toronto area, send me a PM,
Cheers
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Portable Stereo in box 004.jpg (1.03 MB, 308 views)

Last edited by rsavas; 1st March 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 1st March 2013, 02:43 PM   #2755
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

heatsinking SOT? look where is all this stuff coming from? reflow ovens heat the board and parts slowly up to ~230-240C over a period of a few minutes, then ramp it down. its not hard to beat a reflow oven as far as speed, for heat applied to the part, the parts are designed to deal with heat. just dont use a silly amount of heat and linger on the lead, reposition, heat again, fiddle reflow, fiddle reposition reflow etc, that is what damages parts. work at a sensible speed and you wont damage the part, its as simple as that. no wonder you hate SMD, you are making it far harder than it needs to be.

theres a good chance you are using too small a tip too, you need something with a bit of thermal mass so that you dont take too long making joints, this will prevent all the heat getting sucked out of the tip by the ground plane/copper pour, meaning you turn the heat up and take too long, thus damaging the part.

I use a 2 or 3mm chisel tip for just about everything.

the only time I might heatsink a small sot like that, might be if soldering it to a heavy ground or power plane without thermal relief.

visors, i've only got cheapies, exactly the sort you are talking about Kindhornman, illuminated with LEDs, stereo like protection glasses sort of. I wanted to grab a cheap set to see if they helped before spending a bit and they do, so i'll probably spend 50-100 on a set, i've been meaning to check out the USB endoscope variety too, thanks for the reminder JN

Last edited by qusp; 1st March 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 1st March 2013, 02:53 PM   #2756
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would like to add a note about the facts of possible package breech/delamination due to re-flow ovens and from plastic package moisture absorption issues. Many of the IC parts that I get from the suppliers, are in sealed bags with desiccants, so use the parts ASAP after opening the bags or learn to pre-bake if necessary. Hand soldering does not pose such temp extreme/duration stresses if you are good at it.
Old 1st March 2013, 03:12 PM   #2757
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
long enough ago
But do you like to dive, sail, sportfish at sea on a +40kn yacht, cross-country skiing, shoot a composite bow on a target range, drive 150mph on the German autobahn at night ?
Laser surgery also corrects ocular alignment to 100%, perfect alignment on a 'congenital' basis is quite rare, 20/20 vision at night in particular is awesome.

For steroids hooked on an engineering degree, the $7k was money well spent.
=> Audiohagel - HIFI - Sound of Geeks (me 6'2",18" biceps, and 260lb of lard)
With the expiration date in sight, rather Laserburn up than to Fade away.

Eye laser surgery has come a long way in +2 decades, I've intentionally waited for it to mature.
(my partner is a double-doc, I also have a medical degree, and more 'Amice writers' on a first name basis in the rolodex than I actually care for)

50 buck USB camera endoscopes are a really nice all-in-one deal for those on a budget.
Bought one for generic duty, great items for car & boat related stuff.
Compared to the much higher priced one I already had, bang for the buck of the entry level ones is amazing.

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 1st March 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 1st March 2013, 03:36 PM   #2758
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

my mistake, sorry thanks Jacco, not JN, thankyou too JN, but specific thanks are due for the USB endoscope reminder, because I had been meaning to check them out again when the next generation of CCD's and lenses trickled down
Old 1st March 2013, 04:32 PM   #2759
diyAudio Member

Ah, but Mr John is much more interesting to read. (and likely beats me by a mile on the pragmatic front)
Old 1st March 2013, 05:30 PM   #2760
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Jacco,
A friends father who was an eye surgeon told me long enough ago not to have the eye surgery. Warned me about what you are talking about and also the fact that after a few years when the muscles again age and lose more strength you are back where you started except now your eyes have already been surgically scared. I'll stick with the glasses until they come up with a stem cell solution and can regrow your own eyes.
Reminded of scene from Blade Runner

Hide this!Advertise here!