Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 261 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2013, 07:51 PM   #2601
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
... flying off the handle ?

Re: thinking: I once had a manager, who saw me siting at my desk, hands folded behind my head, ask what I was doing. "Thinking".
Said he: "I 'm not paying you to think, I am paying you to work". And I swear, he was dead serious.

jan
This is an excellent joke ! I need to remember it so that I can tell it to other people.

P.S.: I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that the story is very funny.
Old 18th January 2013, 05:38 PM   #2602
diyAudio Member

"......I noticed the 357 Ohm resistors could be a tad larger the ratio to the position held by the 243 Ohm one should be closer to 5/3, this only adds 400uA in that branch which does not do much and comes out in the trim." S. Wurcer

Is 383 ohms too much? I'm hard pressed to find those Panasonic DMG/DMC2040020R at either Mouser or Digi-key. Thanks, Ray
Old 18th January 2013, 06:06 PM   #2603
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhughes View Post
... I'm hard pressed to find those Panasonic DMG/DMC2040020R at either Mouser or Digi-key. Thanks, Ray
NXP has BC8xx in dual NPN/NPN, NPN/PNP and PNP/PNP, both matched and unmatched, in SOT363. If you want a larger package with higher power dissipation, the Rohm IMX- (NPN/NPN), IMT- (PNP/PNP) and IMZ- (NPN/PNP) series in 6-pin SC74/SMT6 packages fit the bill nicely. Be very careful with the pinouts on the Rohm packages, though - some smaller packages have the standard 123456 pinout, while some of the SMT6 packages have 321654 (reversed) pinout.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:54 PM   #2604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhughes View Post
"......I noticed the 357 Ohm resistors could be a tad larger the ratio to the position held by the 243 Ohm one should be closer to 5/3, this only adds 400uA in that branch which does not do much and comes out in the trim." S. Wurcer

Is 383 ohms too much? I'm hard pressed to find those Panasonic DMG/DMC2040020R at either Mouser or Digi-key. Thanks, Ray
383 is fine, and all those general purpose duals should be fine, I've used the NXP devices before.

I just bought all the Panasonic ones from Digi-Key last week?? Try a search for Panasonic and the package you want. The numbers get long maybe I missed a digit.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:32 PM   #2605
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hello Scott,

I like the take on the hardware.
What are you using to measure the distortion and is it possible to measure the whole stage including the input stage for distortion.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:00 PM   #2606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
NXP has BC8xx in dual NPN/NPN, NPN/PNP and PNP/PNP, both matched and unmatched, in SOT363. If you want a larger package with higher power dissipation, the Rohm IMX- (NPN/NPN), IMT- (PNP/PNP) and IMZ- (NPN/PNP) series in 6-pin SC74/SMT6 packages fit the bill nicely. Be very careful with the pinouts on the Rohm packages, though - some smaller packages have the standard 123456 pinout, while some of the SMT6 packages have 321654 (reversed) pinout.
Thanks guys! Is it going to be necessary to add a choke trap output filter (back door filter) to the output of the preamp driving a power amp with about 20 feet of cable? I'd like to avoid the back door trap filter if possible. I guess I'll just have to try it. Ray
Old 19th January 2013, 08:46 AM   #2607
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

SW--- is this InterFET part any good? --> jFET P/N IF3601/02 (.3nV). -RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 19th January 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:49 AM   #2608
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Any time you use an impedance in series with the output (build-out R or inductor) it raises the Z of the whole cable interconnect which then makes the cable more susecptable to emi/rfi pickup. place such at the load end, if possible. -Thx RNMarsh
Old 20th January 2013, 12:13 AM   #2609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Any time you use an impedance in series with the output (build-out R or inductor) it raises the Z of the whole cable interconnect which then makes the cable more susecptable to emi/rfi pickup. place such at the load end, if possible.
While Mr. Marsh is correct about the 'input' end being the more important, EMI/RFI can be injected into outputs too.

Clip on ferrites for computer cables are an inexpensive aid if you have problems. They need to be as close to the end of the cable as possible but outside the box.

Best with ceramics AT the input/output sockets too.
________

Mr. Hughes, I'll leave Scott to answer the question about acceptable capacitive load but you might want to look at AD797 datasheet for how this might be presented. It will be affected by the compensation capacitor too.

Belden 9451 has 35p/ft conductor/conductor and 67p/ft conductor to shield. Nominal Z is 45R but 'best transient' response over a long length is with about 90R.

Yes the extra resistance will degrade EMI/RFI but only if you don't have the ceramics at the sockets.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:38 AM   #2610
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
While Mr. Marsh is correct about the 'input' end being the more important, EMI/RFI can be injected into outputs too.
There's a lovely snippet in the 'bible', H & H: opamp closed loop impedance rises with frequency, say 10 to 100 ohms at 1Mhz. Nearby, digital circuitry is slewing at 0.5V/ns. We want an error coupling of less than 0.1mV to appear in the analogue.

What does the capacitance between those two signals have to be below to achieve that? 0.02pF, something everyone here I'm sure will know how to maintain ...

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 20th January 2013 at 12:41 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!