Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 254 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 05:42 PM   #2531
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
At some level the speed makes engineers lazy, I could envision a giant matrix of virtual decade boxes with thoughtless tweaking replacing thinking. You need breaks to think, design is not a video game making it one will destroy the future (people can be weak willed).
Yes, emphatically agree. Thinking is key, being with a problem. And it is maddening to mediocre technical managers to not be able to somehow see that an employee is working, that progress is made. My father got exasperated at me when I was working on a design because I sat at a desk and drew schematics, but sometimes just sat there and thought about things. He was very partial to circuit compendia like those doorstop collections edited by Graf and others. And at the bench he did love decade boxes

I've thought that one of the most curious aberrations in the direction of supposedly eliminating thought was "genetic" programming. I'm not sure how well it's doing lately, but it was heralded as the next big thing for a while. I can still recall the picture of one of the proponents, sitting at his desk with a grin that spoke volumes about his smug self-satisfaction.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:54 PM   #2532
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
"genetic" programming.
Old 4th January 2013, 06:07 PM   #2533
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
The self-satisfied guy at the desk was Koza. I remembered the name when I read the wiki on GP.

One of the "triumphs" I recall claimed was a high-order filter. In the wiki, electronic designs are mentioned but with no clickable links.

There is this creative-commons free reference: A Field Guide to Genetic Programming
Old 4th January 2013, 06:32 PM   #2534
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Yes, Thinking is key, being with a problem.
I totally agree.
Personally I always use paper and pencil (and calculator) when I'm working with a new circuit, before I simulate the circuit.

Stein
Old 4th January 2013, 07:22 PM   #2535
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

I need to get more exercise in the winter.

Does Running Late count as an exercise?
Old 4th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #2536
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, emphatically agree. Thinking is key, being with a problem. And it is maddening to mediocre technical managers to not be able to somehow see that an employee is working, that progress is made. My father got exasperated at me when I was working on a design because I sat at a desk and drew schematics, but sometimes just sat there and thought about things.
I used to have an office where I could put my feet up on the desk when i was working (thinking). I did this frequently... leaning back in the chair with my feet on the desk. That picture apparently wasnt a good one for those passing by the door. I soon guessed (with help) that you had to "look" like you were working..... thus came the Look Busy phenom. that has taken over. You know --- Gods coming! Look Busy! -RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 4th January 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:59 PM   #2537
diyAudio Member

Nothing will drive a mediocre technical manager to suicide faster than to do a lot of thinking in the beginning of a large project. A large project which has a funding time limit... a drop dead date. When the project must be completed and working properly. There you are doing 'nothing' (but planning, solving problems and getting organized, writing sole source procurment reasons, prioritizing, contracts etc). meanwhile time is passing by and that manager is going to get on you to take some 'action.' But when your project does really launch... it goes fast and smooth and you look like a miracle worker in that poor managers eye. And, he looks good, too. :-) -RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 4th January 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 08:24 PM   #2538
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I need to get more exercise in the winter.

Does Running Late count as an exercise?
A joke, I get it!
Old 4th January 2013, 08:27 PM   #2539
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I know I am cryptic at times ( OK, a lot of the time). I mean if we could ween average joe citizen off Microsoft Windows and over to Linux OS we would stand a chance of doing better by allowing for a new cpu archit... one which would be more like a mini-computer. Just how do you turn the big Windows/Intel uPC ship around? Or, are there alternatives (mini-cpu) that are affordable, PNP, for personal use that I dont know about? What cpu do you use -- and software?

I used to have -in my home- an LSI-11 (RT11 OS) maxed out mem and drives of the time..... math coprocessor and the works... efficienct codes and less operating overhead made it do FFT very fast. I used DADiSP software at home ... still available for PC too. Look it up. Superfast -- I could change part values on the schematic and see the bode-plot etc in real time change in the other window. In fact I could have a dozen windows open on the display screen and see the effect in each window's plot of what-ever change made in one window. You dont need a tonne of memory to do this but efficient code and cpu designed for number crunching (eg 'scientific'). And, it didnt use windows or linux... all machine code.
BTW - these number crunching machines are misleading when you compare memory size needed to get work done with todays x86 derivitive machines. The many layers of code and switching data I/O of mem is the best reason to change over to SSD. You'll think you just got hooked up to a Mini-cpu machine. really. Thx-RNMarsh
There is no reason that you cannot run machine code on an X86 box
Old 4th January 2013, 10:10 PM   #2540
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhrrhleine View Post
There is no reason that you cannot run machine code on an X86 box
Some of the engineering software used on the PC uses only the GUI interface and under it all is a seperate OS running the show or in machine language. Such as DADiSP, I mentioned. Originally, DADiSP ran under DOS while the front end looked like what ever Windows that the machine came with. Seems the more you can get rid of Windows OS etal the faster everything becomes.

Hardware and software improvements will optimize what we have to work with. Then add SSD.

Thx-RNMarsh

Hide this!Advertise here!