Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 251 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2013, 03:30 AM   #2501
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

The latest IBM supercomputor uses IBM cores. The latest Crey uses AMD CPU's and NVidia GPU. China's supercomp uses Nvidia gpu. -RNM

SW: ".... the destruction of our childrens minds" ?? Last I saw, the USA children today ranked way far down in mind power.... So, it isnt the educational system that destroyed thier minds.... its those mindless video games?

[just poking fun] Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 3rd January 2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: minor details --
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:51 AM   #2502
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I discussed this with a sales guy, there are definately more and less reliable SSD's. I was thinking of getting one but not as an only drive. I could see putting all my swap space on one, one can always rerun sims in case of a crash.

I remember back in the late 1970's or early 80's there was an advert in Byte for a 1 Mbyte RAM hard drive. It was the size of 2 or 3 bricks and had battery b/up (IIRC). Times have changed.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:52 AM   #2503
diyAudio Member

Now that is good news, Scott! Thanks!

Fascinating that SPICE can split its workload during TRAN. I am running some TRAN sessions with time lengths of thousands of seconds, and it takes many hours to do each and I have dozens to do. Now I use two computers and am planning for a 3rd machine to speed things up.

Would be cool if it was possible to rent CPU time from some super computer somewhere on the planet. One that can run code from MicroCap SPICE

Best reagrds,
S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Yes, last month we generated the eye diagram for a 10G TIA running a 2^31 bit pattern looking for inter-symbol interference. One circuit one LONG transient analysis. 3+days on a fairly loaded work station, a few hours in the farm.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:56 AM   #2504
diyAudio Member

Oh, yeas, for many years!
Starting up for ex CATIA only takes seconds using an SSD
I could not live without SSD:s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Anyone using a lot of SSD mem, yet? Makes a huge difference.
Prices are coming down. -RNM
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:14 AM   #2505
diyAudio Member

In a sense I agree with Scott here. Our children are being more and more served finished activeties instead of creating. There are a few kids that do some of their own software, but the majority are just being fed what other people have made. Oh, all can use an iPod and ahve the latest Android app, but where is the intelligence instreasing activeties in that?

I have two teenagers and if all the time they spend on FB or Twitter, was used to for ex program some own software that they have designed, that would give them more satisfaction in the long run, and if all teenagers did some more creative thigns than just surfing the web and posting on FB, educational skills would increase instead of decrease.

When I was a teenager, heck, I had so much spare time as there was no FB etc, that I sat down and learned to program computers instead. Nerdy? Heck, yes! Did it make me smarter? Heck, yes

Maybe I am walking on thin ice here...

Quote:
The latest IBM supercomputor uses IBM cores. The latest Crey uses AMD CPU's and NVidia GPU. China's supercomp uses Nvidia gpu. -RNM

SW: ".... the destruction of our childrens minds" ?? Last I saw, the USA children today ranked way far down in mind power.... So, it isnt the educational system that destroyed thier minds.... its those mindless video games?

[just poking fun] Thx-RNMarsh
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:19 PM   #2506
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No politics allowed. I was spoiled I had a Jesuit education, I actually enjoyed staying up till 2AM doing geometry proofs.
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:43 PM   #2507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staccatiss View Post
Would be cool if it was possible to rent CPU time from some super computer somewhere on the planet. One that can run code from MicroCap SPICE

Best reagrds,
S.
I looked and could not find any references for this. I don't know of any semiconductor company that owns a supercomputer configured for circuit simulation. Intel would be the best bet, I don't know.

The price and power consumption would be hard to justify. There is this The cheap supercomputer | Kagaku a $400K computer "home" made with 400 or so GPU's. We demoed one made with 100 or so being offered as a potential product that had HSPICE compiled on it. Nothing came of this.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:50 PM   #2508
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

There is no reason why a dual or quad core PC couldnt do sim a lot faster --- except for the archetecture is all wrong for doing such.... the uPC wasnt designed for that purpose and now you are stuck with it. If Linux could become more mainstrean - maybe Intel would develope a more useful micro-CPU arch for engineers.

There was a time when the mini-cpu got started but it died when HP bought them (DEC) out. The DEC LSI-11 was designed for just what we need now... it had the arch for doing number crunching most effeciently and was the bridge between mucro and mainframe. We still need that bridge product. -Thx RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 3rd January 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:26 PM   #2509
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is no reason why a dual or quad core PC couldnt do sim a lot faster --- except for the archetecture is all wrong for doing such.... the uPC wasnt designed for that purpose and now you are stuck with it. If Linux could become more mainstrean - maybe Intel would develope a more useful micro-CPU arch for engineers.

There was a time when the mini-cpu got started but it died when HP bought them (DEC) out. The DEC LSI-11 was designed for just what we need now... it had the arch for doing number crunching most effeciently and was the bridge between mucro and mainframe. We still need that bridge product. -Thx RNMarsh
I have fond memories (npi) of the LSI-11. It ran my spectrometer and allowed the astronomers to play with their data at the same time. Most of the memory was provided bu two clunky 8" floppies; the semiconductor memory was all of 32k words.
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:21 PM   #2510
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If Linux could become more mainstrean - maybe Intel would develope a more useful micro-CPU arch for engineers.

Thx RNMarsh
Richard you do say some things that I just don't understand sometimes, I consider Linux totally mainstream, we are not alone in having it as the prefered environment for all engineering purposes. Many major software vendors support it and not Windows. Linux is probably the best trickle-up of all.

Intel is interested in making money, the demand has been there for a long time I guess not enough.

Hide this!Advertise here!