Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 247 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2013, 12:16 PM   #2461
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Some of those GPU's cost more than my laptop all by themselves and then to run them massively in parallel, that aint't cheap!
If you go look for some proper research papers on the subject of GPGPU computing, you'll spot graphs displaying the speed-up compared to CPU or multi-CPU setups also taking into account cost and power consumption.
Granted that the problem at hand is appropriate for parallel computing and if the guy writing the code knows his stuff, employing the GPU can bring a *huge* improvement over a CPU or CPU-based multi-processing code in terms of time, cost and power.

General purpose GPU computing is the future. In a few years regular software will seamlessly take advantage of our GPUs for non-3D tasks (in applications where the processing can be executed faster on the GPU, of course).
It's a new field (although closely related to parallel computing) and there is lack of expertise and plenty of stuff that haven't been run on GPUs (or there is plenty of room for optimization). So if you have a kid/nephew or someone who's getting into computers, let them know.

Last edited by TheShaman; 1st January 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 1st January 2013, 03:52 PM   #2462
diyAudio Member

TheShaman,
You are very correct that the important thing here is to optimize the code to actually take advantage of the multi-thread and multi-core processing we have already available today. My CAD program is a high end piece of software and I don't think that they have optimized what they have in this regards at all yet. Rendering is the slowest process but also some small changes to a 3D design can seems to take forever for the processors to handle. I know that my next computer will have a GPU as a requirement as that just seems to be the best way to go at this time. With ever increasing multiprocessors and multicores perhaps that won't always be necessary if you are only running one task at a time. I still have an old server case with multiprocessor board just to run some old legacy hardware. It is amazing how large that thing is, but it would hold many hard drives and dual processors was really something at the time! Parallel Zeon processors seemed like such a feat years ago, today any i5 or i7 will run circles around those older chipsets!
Old 1st January 2013, 04:32 PM   #2463
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staccatiss View Post
Problems is nto the nr of cores, problem is how to get SPICE do parallel computing when doing transient analysis. AFAIK, it cannot be done today.
Our entire network of Linux boxes is configured as a compute farm and at night you could have dozens of machines running a transient analysis in parallel. Things that take days can take hours. The partitioning is special software but it does exist.
Old 1st January 2013, 04:42 PM   #2464
diyAudio Member

Scott,
Shush with the Linux reference!!!!! If my brother sees that I will have to get an earful about the awful Microsoft monster and why I still have anything running in that OS. I do have a dual boot system with Linux and now Windows 7, no way am I going for that Windows 8. He would just love to network all the machines in my house to be running Linux, I started that monster about 20 years ago when I gave him a book on Linux. He has been in that world for that long now, OpenSuse is his distro of choice. It must be nice to work for a company that knows how to get things done, I hated fighting with the IT department over some of the dumb things that they use to do.
Old 1st January 2013, 04:57 PM   #2465
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
It must be nice to work for a company that knows how to get things done, I hated fighting with the IT department over some of the dumb things that they use to do.
Dilbert periodically captures some of the essence of typical IT departments to great effect.

When I consulted on site at Harman I dealt with a woman, actually a friend outside of work, and had to try to negotiate with her for a faster machine. She said "But Brad! I only have a 500MHz machine at home!" I said "But ____, what do you use it for?" Of course it was nothing compute-intensive. I pointed out that increases in speed for me translated directly into savings in time and more productivity for the company, but it just didn't cut it. Many times the argument is "well if you get that, everyone will want one" and so forth. Madness.
Old 1st January 2013, 05:12 PM   #2466
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Seems HKardon had the wrong person for the job/position for you to negotiate with. It happens a lot.

back to the numbers -- international computer ranking is done twice a year. As of June 2012, LLNL's Sequoia is the number 1 ranked as world's fastest supercomputer.
[China's Tianhe-1A is now ranked 5th.]

The problem for the physicist is the resolution of the data -- as they are always ahead of what can be built! One new supercomputer was faster and they thought more accurate but after it was up and running those important details contained in the last few places seemed like they were put there by a random number generator. they couldnt get the same answere twice. But it was fast. So, they had to go back to using the 'old' one. Most of the details of what is being looked at are in the last few digits.... they can never get enough info it seems to tell them exactly what is happening in their physics models. The super high performance computers are still not good enough. Such is the power of the human mind. -RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 1st January 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 1st January 2013, 05:21 PM   #2467
diyAudio Member

Finished my boards, separate input and output stages that fold into a 1"x1" stack. I stuck with TO-92 outputs and J310 cascodes for now and found some SOT23-6 duals NPN/PNP, PNP/PNP, and NPN/NPN I'm not ready for those tiny packages yet.

Filled in with some SOT23 to DIP-6 adaptors for matched pairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board.jpg (102.3 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by scott wurcer; 1st January 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 1st January 2013, 05:29 PM   #2468
diyAudio Member

How do we get some of those pcb's to try your circuit with? -RNM
Old 1st January 2013, 05:36 PM   #2469
diyAudio Member

TheShaman --- Math, physicists and engineers all use math. A mathmatician uses math to solve math problems. Which is why they are mostly hired by universities only. -RNM
Old 1st January 2013, 05:45 PM   #2470
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
How do we get some of those pcb's to try your circuit with? -RNM
After I verify functionality I will gladly post the files. Anyone can then change packages if need be and order some.

Hide this!Advertise here!